WindLight is a revolutionary atmospheric lighting and rendering system within Second Life that can assist photographers of all skill levels to create stunning visuals. What does that all mean? You have a powerful mood-setting tool at your disposal. Take advantage of it!
I’ve created this page to share not only my windlight settings, but also to link to settings that were created by other SL residents. I will keep updating this page as I create more settings.
Download my WindLight Settings:
- StrawberrySinghHeadshots – September 2, 2013 – This is the windlight I use when taking headshots of clients most of the time. It’s bright, simple, clean and works with most skin tones.
- StrawberrySinghLightUpMySLife – September 2, 2013 – This is a very bright windlight that is best for full body portraits, on location with hard lighting.
- Mirror Water – August 11th, 2012 – You can download the mirror water preset at this link but read the blog post for the full tutorial on how to use it.
- Berry’s WindLight Settings – February 24th, 2011 – This is a zipped file. When you unzip it you will find 10 settings, one of them is the original setting I shared in this post on September 12th, 2010, and the others are new ones I have created in the past several months. All of these settings are quite different from one another, but work great with sl shadows and will also assist you in adding a lot of drama to your pictures.
- StrawberrySingh.com – Closeups – September 12th, 2010 – This setting is very similar to the Caliah windlight preset. I love that preset and used to use it often in my photography. After a while though I decided to make my own setting especially designed for my closeup shots that I love to do. It’s great for darker skins because it’s a bit brighter and has a little less red in it. This setting does not work with sl shadows.
How to install:
To install these settings you will need to download them, unzip them, and then copy them into the following folders. Please make sure you have shut down Second Life before doing this and follow the instructions for the system that you are running:
Windows XP –
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\SecondLife\user_settings\windlight\skies
Windows Vista & 7 –
Mac – use Go menu > Go to Folder and paste in:
If you are using a third party viewer such as Exodus or Phoenix, remember to place the settings in the correct folders by substituting the “SecondLife” folder for the name of the viewer you are using.
WindLight Settings created by other SL residents:
- Caliah Lyon – One of the best settings ever! Thank you Caliah <3 - A lot of people just wanted to download the file quickly, so I put it up here to download: http://www.box.net/shared/t0r5ccmt1hn9grlpf42i
- Torley Linden – These settings are must haves. If you haven’t tried them yet, I dunno what you’ve been waiting for.
- Elysium Eilde – A collection of 22 absolutely amazing windlight settings with brilliant skies. The link will take you to her tutorials & resources page, you will find the link to the windlight settings at the bottom of the page.
- Chic Aeon – I recently discovered these and I am loving them! Fantastic settings and she’s got a section on her blog that shows you all the wonderful images she takes with them.
- Annan Adored – Stunning windlight settings, available for download in two parts: Part 1 and Part 2
- Tanaquil Beaumont – Really beautiful downloadable settings, some of my favs!
- Jackson Redstar – If you’ve seen his pictures, you know how gorgeous they are. His windlight settings are just as amazing. Must download!
- Trinetty Skytower – Beautiful downloadable windlight settings from a talented photographer.
- Harlow Heslop – Beachy Windlight Series.
- Erin McConach – Two settings available for download.
- Isabelli Anatine – That’s a direct link to the rar file to download her settings. You can view her blog at this link.
- Gorgeous Yongho – Five downloadable studio Windlight Settings
- Mescaline Tammas – Gorgeous skies!
- Paulina Oceanlane – Downloadable Settings
- CodeBastard Redgrave – Perfect mood lighting.
- Cajsa Lilliehook – Cajsa’s Rainy Day setting which she has made available for download.
- Darkley Aeon – For studio shots.
- Luna Jubilee – Downloadable settings.
- Iris Ophelia – Very informative post.
- Celebrity Trollop – Celebrity has made it easier for you to download some of the above windlight settings by downloading and installing just one file.
With all that being shared, I really believe that everyone should get very comfortable with the environment editor to create and use their own settings. It’s great to have lots of windlight settings to choose from, but what I’ve noticed is that usually, it’s not enough. I still go in and edit each setting to get it to just my liking.
So get into the editor and start playing with these settings below!
World > Environment Editor > Sky Presets > Edit (or new) Preset
If you have any questions, problems or difficulties, please don’t hesitate to email me.
I am leaving the comments open on this page. If you know of any other WindLight Settings that you like to use or if you have shared your own somewhere, please feel free to link them in the comments below.
Thank you! <3