WindLight is a revolutionary atmospheric lighting and rendering system within Second Life that can assist photographers of all skill levels to create stunning visuals. What does that all mean? You have a powerful mood-setting tool at your disposal. Take advantage of it!
I’ve created this page to share not only my windlight settings, but also to link to settings that were created by other SL residents. I will keep updating this page as I create more settings.
Download my WindLight Settings:
- Mirror Water – August 11th, 2012 – You can download the mirror water preset at this link but read the blog post for the full tutorial on how to use it.
- Berry’s WindLight Settings – February 24th, 2011 – This is a zipped file. When you unzip it you will find 10 settings, one of them is the original setting I shared in this post on September 12th, 2010, and the others are new ones I have created in the past several months. All of these settings are quite different from one another, but work great with sl shadows and will also assist you in adding a lot of drama to your pictures.
- StrawberrySingh.com – Closeups – September 12th, 2010 – This setting is very similar to the Caliah windlight preset. I love that preset and used to use it often in my photography. After a while though I decided to make my own setting especially designed for my closeup shots that I love to do. It’s great for darker skins because it’s a bit brighter and has a little less red in it. This setting does not work with sl shadows.
How to install:
To install these settings you will need to download them, unzip them, and then copy them into the following folders. Please make sure you have shut down Second Life before doing this and follow the instructions for the system that you are running:
Windows XP –
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\SecondLife\user_settings\windlight\skies
Windows Vista & 7 –
Mac – use Go menu > Go to Folder and paste in:
If you are using a third party viewer such as Exodus or Phoenix, remember to place the settings in the correct folders by substituting the “SecondLife” folder for the name of the viewer you are using.
WindLight Settings created by other SL residents:
- Caliah Lyon – One of the best settings ever! Thank you Caliah <3 (A lot of people just wanted to download the file quickly, so I put it up here to download. http://www.box.net/shared/t0r5ccmt1hn9grlpf42i)
- Torley Linden – These settings are must haves. If you haven’t tried them yet, I dunno what you’ve been waiting for.
- Elysium Eilde – A collection of 22 absolutely amazing windlight settings with brilliant skies. The link will take you to her tutorials & resources page, you will find the link to the windlight settings at the bottom of the page.
- Chic Aeon – I recently discovered these and I am loving them! Fantastic settings and she’s got a section on her blog that shows you all the wonderful images she takes with them.
- Mescaline Tammas – Gorgeous skies!
- CodeBastard Redgrave – Perfect mood lighting.
- Iris Ophelia – Very informative post.
- Gorgeous Yongho – Five downloadable studio Windlight Settings
- Luna Jubilee – Downloadable settings.
- Cajsa Lilliehook – Cajsa’s Rainy Day setting which she has made available for download.
- Darkley Aeon – For studio shots.
- Harlow Heslop – Beachy Windlight Series.
- Tanaquil Beaumont – Really beautiful downloadable settings, some of my favs!
- Isabelli Anatine – That’s a direct link to the rar file to download her settings. You can view her blog at this link.
- Annan Adored – This brilliant photographer and fashion blogger has very graciously shared her stunning windlight settings, they are available for download.
- Celebrity Trollop – Celebrity has made it easier for you to download most of the above windlight settings by downloading and installing just one file.
With all that being shared, I really believe that everyone should get very comfortable with the environment editor to create and use their own settings. It’s great to have lots of windlight settings to choose from, but what I’ve noticed is that usually, it’s not enough. I still go in and edit each setting to get it to just my liking.
So get into the editor and start playing with these settings below!
World > Environment > Environment Editor > Advanced Sky
If you have any questions, problems or difficulties, please don’t hesitate to email me.
I am leaving the comments open on this page. If you know of any other WindLight Settings that you like to use or if you have shared your own somewhere, please feel free to link them in the comments below.
Thank you! <3