(I didn’t really process this pic too much to show the windlight, complete raw shot on here)
So because of last week’s Monday meme where we all went exploring and shared pictures, I had a few people ask me about windlight settings and such. I’ve also been creating a lot of new windlight settings over the summer that I’ve wanted to share with you guys. However, I kind of forgot today was Monday (blame Labor day) so I’m only going to share two new windlights that I made and then also share names of the ones that I like using often that are created by others.
Meme instructions: Answer the following questions about windlight settings and share some that you’ve created yourself. Don’t forget to leave a link to your post in this meme’s comments.
- Do you use windlight while taking pictures? If not, why not? I do. I’m not really sure why people wouldn’t.
- When taking a closeup snapshot for a profile picture, which windlight preset do you use most often? When I first started photography back in 2008, I always used the Caliah preset, then after shadows were introduced in 2010, I created my own which you can find in some viewers by the name of “closeups” (and I actually hate that one now, lol) I feel like it’s dated. In February of 2011 I created and released more windlight settings and I used my Sapphire preset for the longest time. Then I found Tanaquil Beaumont’s windlight setting and used that often. Now, over the summer, I created a new one for myself and I use that these days. It’s the one I used in the picture above. I’ve named it StrawberrySinghHeadshots and you can download it and all of the settings I’ve mentioned from my Windlight Settings page.
- Which windlight presets do you use for full body portraits? It varies, if it’s on a plain background in the studio, then I might still use my headshots windlight but if it’s on location then I use one called StrawberrySinghLightUpMySLife and it’s also available on my Windlight Settings page. However, if I want to make the picture a bit darker and moodier, then I usually go with one of Torley Linden’s.
- If you do landscape photography, which windlights do you use for that most often? I don’t do landscape photography often as I don’t feel I’m that good at it but when I do, I usually stick with the default setting that’s already on the sim and play with it or I use one of Torley Linden’s or Annan Adored’s, she’s got some great settings as well.
- Do you have any tricks or tips that you could share for using Windlight effectively? I don’t really have any tricks. The only thing I always do is play with whatever preset I decide to go with. I always play with the sun/moon position, the density, the clouds, the time of day, pretty much everything till I get it to where I like it. You shouldn’t be afraid to get in there and modify it to your liking. I almost always end up with a whole new windlight with every shoot.
- Have you created any windlights that you would be willing to share with us? All of the windlight presets I’ve ever created are all available for download from my windlight settings page, along with ones that I’ve found made by other residents. I use box.com for my settings. It’s easy and simple to setup if you are looking for a place to upload yours.
And that’s it, short and sweet today since so many people asked about them last week. I hope you guys share, I’d love to discover some more settings!
Please remember that you can participate in any of the memes/challenges at any time. You’ll find them all under my Blog Challenges category along with other memes and challenges I’ve done over the years.
Credits to what I’m wearing can be found in this post: Desi Girls