WindLight is a revolutionary atmospheric lighting and rendering system within Second Life that can assist photographers of all skill levels to create stunning visuals. What does that all mean? You have a powerful mood-setting tool at your disposal. Take advantage of it!
I’ve created this page to share not only my windlight settings, but also to link to settings that were created by other SL residents. I will keep updating this page as I create more settings.
Download my WindLight Settings:
- StrawberrySinghHeadshots – September 2, 2013 – This is the windlight I use in all of my videos and majority of my pictures.
- StrawberrySinghLightUpMySLife – September 2, 2013 – This is a very bright windlight that is best for full body portraits, on location with hard lighting.
- Berry’s WindLight Settings – February 24th, 2011 – This is a zipped file. When you unzip it you will find 10 settings, one of them is the original setting I shared in this post on September 12th, 2010, and the others are new ones I have created in the past several months. All of these settings are quite different from one another, but work great with sl shadows and will also assist you in adding a lot of drama to your pictures.
- StrawberrySingh.com – Closeups – September 12th, 2010 – This setting is very similar to the Caliah windlight preset. I love that preset and used to use it often in my photography. After a while though I decided to make my own setting especially designed for my closeup shots that I love to do. It’s great for darker skins because it’s a bit brighter and has a little less red in it. This setting does not work with sl shadows.
How to install Sky WindLight settings:
To install these settings you will need to download them, unzip them, and then copy them into the following folders. Please make sure you have shut down Second Life before doing this and follow the instructions for the system that you are running:
Windows XP –
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\SecondLife\user_settings\windlight\skies
Windows Vista & 7 –
Mac – use Go menu > Go to Folder and paste in:
If you are using a third party viewer such as Firestorm or Exodus, remember to place the settings in the correct folders by substituting the “SecondLife” folder for the name of the viewer you are using.
- Mirror Water – August 11th, 2012 – You can download the mirror water preset at this link but read the blog post for the full tutorial on how to use it.
- Free Water Normal Maps by Trompe Loeil – June 03, 2014 – Video tutorial on how to use the water normal maps
Water settings go in the SecondLife\user_settings\windlight\water folder.
Sky WindLight Settings created by other SL residents:
- Torley Linden
- Caliah Lyon – Informative post about Windlight and you can download the caliah setting at this link
- Annan Adored – September 2012 – November 2012 – October 2013 – October 2014
- Foxcity – Satomi’s Windlights
- Cassie Middles
- Steffy Ghost
- Tsurine – Runa’s Windlights
- JayNathan – Multiple sky and water windlights
- Crista Wellens
- Crystal Cranberry
- Chic Aeon
- Jadezilla’s Windlights
- Kirsten Corleone
- Tanaquil Beaumont
- Trinetty Skytower
- Jackson Redstar
- Erin McConach
- Gorgeous Yongho
- Mescaline Tammas
- Paulina Oceanlane
- Cajsa Lilliehook
- Darkley Aeon
- Luna Jubilee
- Isabelli Anatine – That’s a direct link to the download file. You can view her blog at this link.
With all that being shared, I really believe that everyone should get very comfortable with the environment editor to create and use their own settings. It’s great to have lots of windlight settings to choose from, but what I’ve noticed is that usually, it’s not enough. I still go in and edit each setting to get it to just my liking.
So get into the editor and start playing with these settings below!
World > Environment Editor > Sky Presets > Edit (or new) Preset
If you have any questions, problems or difficulties, please don’t hesitate to email me.
I am leaving the comments open on this page. If you know of any other WindLight Settings that you like to use or if you have shared your own somewhere, please feel free to link them in the comments below.
Thank you! <3