For my Monday meme this week, I thought it would be fun to bring back my What’s your digits? challenge from previous years, especially since I’ve made quite a lot of changes to my shape in the past 24 hours. After yesterday’s Proportions post and looking at all the comments, I decided I wanted to play with my shape a bit more. Not only that, I took out my male avatar and fixed up his shape as well. It’s been about a year since I asked you guys for your shape numbers, so I thought it would be the perfect time to bring this challenge up again and see if any of you have been changing your shapes around more and why.
Here are the digits challenges I’ve done so far and my reasoning behind them:
- 2011: What’s your digits? – I was worried about my shape and wondered if my proportions were ok because all of a sudden I felt that my hands looked massive.
- 2012: What’s your digits? Take 2: The Mesh Revolution – I brought back the challenge then because I realized I had changed my avatar quite a bit because of mesh and I wanted to see how everyone else felt about it.
- 2013: What’s your digits? Take 3: Proportions Challenge – I was again worried about the length of my arms a couple of days ago (see: Proportions Post) and I changed my shape around quite a bit so I wanted to share the new numbers and also ask you guys a bunch of questions about proportions.
Meme instructions: Share your avatar’s digits (if you want to, not necessary) and then copy paste the following questions and answers into your post, remove my answers and input your own. Don’t forget to share your link in the comments of this post and if you decide to share your numbers, the flickr group for the Digits challenge is here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/digits
Average body proportions for Adult males, females and children, link here.
Proportions Challenge Questions:
- Do you try and keep your avatar’s body proportionate and similar to the “average” proportions pictured above? – I didn’t really care about it before, but now I’ve been trying to fix my shape and make it closer to average proportions, just to make it look a bit more realistic.
- What do you dislike the most about the SL avatar mesh? – I think probably the hands and feet bother me the most but those are easily fixed now with mesh parts. I don’t really have major issues with the rest of the avatar.
- Does it bother you when you see other avatars that are not proportionate at all? – No, it doesn’t bother me at all. I know some people find it irritating and say it’s a “pet peeve” but I honestly don’t really care how other avatars make themselves look. Unless they are really muscular or sexy looking so they stand out and I’m kind of attracted to them, I usually don’t notice them.
- Even though this is a virtual world and people can be anything they want to be, do you feel when they are in human form, they should try to keep their proportions close to average? No! I’ve just been doing it for myself because I felt like it, but definitely don’t think anyone else has to.
Now the second part of the challenge is sharing your digits. You absolutely do not have to do that if you don’t want to or if you haven’t changed much from last year when you shared them then. I also know there is an issue with people stealing people’s shapes and putting them up on marketplace (like my shape is up on marketplace twice, see this link) so I absolutely understand if you don’t feel comfortable sharing your numbers. I am not going to share all my numbers, so you can share whichever ones you like and explain what you have changed recently about your shape and why.
Strawberry Singh’s digits: Just in the past 24 hours I have changed her arms and hands and made them larger. I adjusted the length of her legs and then made her taller. I also reduced her hip length and decreased her waist a bit so she could fit into certain mesh pieces better. She is wearing SLink mesh hands and feet and she usually wears XS or S in mesh standard sizing.
Height – 60 (6’5″ using the Avatar Ruler)
Body Fat: 5
Head size: 58
Torso Muscle: 35
Breast Size: 45
Arm length: 100
Hand size: 32
Torso length: 55
Love Handles: 25
Belly Size: 1
Leg Muscle: 49
Leg length: 50
Hip width: 58
Butt Size: 45
Saddle Bags: 30
Manberry’s digits: I had to decrease his neck and chest and body fat quite a bit the past few months to make him fit properly into a size medium. Today I got him mesh hands from Cheerno and mesh feet from SLink. When I put the mesh hands on him, his arms looked really small so I increased his arm length as well. He is a perfect size medium in mesh standard sizing now.
Height – 82 (7’2″ using the Avatar Ruler)
Body Fat: 5
Head size: 70
Torso Muscles: 47
Arm length: 75
Hand size: 50
Torso length: 60
Love Handles: 25
Belly Size: 1
Leg Muscle: 60
Leg length: 54
Hip width: 60
Butt Size: 55
Saddle Bags: 22
I know my shapes are still not that close to the average proportions but I feel like I am satisfied with the way they look right now so I am going to stop adjusting..for now.
- A Matter of Proportion – Penny Patton’s thoughts and suggestions about proportion.
- Model Shape Tool on marketplace by Nalates Urriah. This tool is designed to help you with avatar proportions for human looking avatars.
- Tutorial: Feminine body proportions for different kinds of avatar shapes by Alaska Metropolitan – I found this tutorial very helpful and informative as well.
I’m excited to see how people feel about average proportions in this virtual world so I hope you guys participate. Please remember that you can participate in any of the memes/challenges at any time. You’ll find them all under my Blog Challenges category along with other memes and challenges I’ve done over the years.
UPDATE: If you would like to place your Digits picture in the “What’s your digits” gallery inworld, Vaneeesa Blaylock has the instructions on how to do that in this post and here is the SLurl to the gallery: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LEA11/106/188/21
And ANOTHER Update: A followup to this post because Whiskey Monday requested a side-by-side comparison of my shapes so I decided to share them all throughout the years. It was really interesting to see how much I’ve changed. You don’t need to do this but it would be great if you do. If you do end up doing it, please consider adding it to the Digits flickr group. Thank you <3
(click the image to go to my flickr and see it in a larger size up close, click here for original size)
All of the Digits Challenges can be viewed in the Digits Challenges category.
Strawberry Singh is wearing:
*Skin: Glam Affair – Summer – America 05 B by Aida Ewing (@ Summerfest)
*Hair: TRUTH HAIR Wanda – LightBrowns01 by Truth Hawks
*Swimsuit: coldLogic bikini – sydney.linen (S) by coldLogic
*Mesh Feet: Slink Mesh Feet (Av) Flat S by Siddean Munro
*Mesh Hands: Slink Mesh Hands (av) Casual by Siddean Munro
Manberry is wearing:
Skin: Fruk – Jeremy skin shade 6 Black by Chucky Hollak
Hair: *Dura-Boy*33(Dark Brown) by chiaki Xue
*Swimsuit: FATEwear Trunks – Thorpe by Damien Fate
Mesh feet: Slink Mens Natural Barefeet 05 (Large foot) by Siddean Munro
Hands: [CheerNo] Hands_M#1 [Mesh] by Cheerno Destiny
Credits for 3rd picture (height evolution):
*Skin: Glam Affair