I’ve been a bit preoccupied the past few days with some work so because of this, the Ebbe meme I had planned will have to wait for another week or so. Luckily, Mr. Skell Dagger sent me a few meme suggestions this morning and this one seemed as if it would be quick and easy.
Meme Instructions: List 5 pieces of advice you would give to a newcomer that has just joined Second Life. Don’t forget to leave a link to your post or advice in the comments.
- Shameless self-promotion here, but read my Second Life Newbie Resource. I wrote it in 2011 so it is a bit dated, but it still has a lot of information about starting up, picking up some freebies and customizing your avatar, that you may find informative.
- This is Second Life, be who and what you want to be (as long as it’s not illegal). If you want to be a baby dragon with fairy wings that likes to do somersaults, you do that and don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t! Also, tell me when and where you find that outfit.
- Don’t be a jerk just because you can be. A lot of people tend to treat people like complete trash and say and do the most wretched things because they are safely behind their computers and can’t be given a much deserved punch in the face. Please be a decent human being and not a total douche canoe to everyone you meet inworld.
- Doesn’t matter what you heard, not everyone is in Second Life for sex. So please, don’t start conversations with, “wanna have sex?” Would you walk into a place in the real world and ask a stranger the same question? You really won’t make any friends that way.
- Don’t feel discouraged if you don’t ‘get it’ right away. I spent months attaching boxes to my head, distorting my shape, and all kinds of other things before I got the hang of how to use and enjoy Second Life. There is a big learning curve and it does take time to get the hang of things, but once you do, you have a wonderful playground to play in and be and build whatever you want.
Please remember that you can participate in any of the memes/challenges at any time. You’ll find them all under my Blog Challenges category along with other memes and challenges I’ve done over the years.
The Mens Dept is celebrating its second anniversary this month. Hard to believe it’s already been two years of this event. Although not all of the clothes released at this event are always to my taste, I have been introduced to a lot of new mesh creators because of it. This round they have quite a lot of designers participating. You can click over to the gallery on their blog to see all they are offering before taking the SLurl and heading down there.
*Skin: Clef de Peau:Jonathan:T4 Ginger Brows by Marcopol Oh (flickr) (@ TMD)
Hair: [INK] Hair___JIJI ::Brown by Nontroppo Torii (blog)
Hairbase: …:::DURA:::… Hairbase – Brown by Naotsune Enzo
*Glasses: S O R G O – AKIRA / Leak (G) by Arscene Dubrovna (flickr)
*Shirt: *Shai* Men’s Dirty Plaid Shirt – M by Shai Delacroix (blog) (@ TMD)
*Jeans: FATEwear Jeans – Skinny Billy (Low)(M) by Damien Fate
Mesh Hands: Slink Male Hands (AvEnhance) M – Relax by Siddean Munro
*BackPack: ISON – canvas bucket bag (tan) by Harry Hyx (flickr) (@ TMD)
*Pose+Sofa: The Loft – Umberto Knole Sofa Beige by Nardya Rousselot (flickr) (@ TMD)