Please see my updated “Introduction to Second Life” tutorial for more detailed information if you are new to Second Life.
I’ve been getting a lot of emails from people that know nothing about Second Life, but have somehow found my blog through various social networks, asking me for more information. Therefore I figured I would write up a quick tutorial for those interested in joining and looking for some free resources to kick start their inventory.
- Join.SecondLife.com – Sign up to Second Life using one of the creative free avatars available at startup and choosing a unique username for yourself. This is a name that you will be known as inworld, so it’s very important to pick something that does not have a lot of numbers in it and is easy for people to pronounce.
- Welcome Island – When you login with your new avatar and username the first time, you will be taken to Welcome Island. Please follow the orientation carefully and familiarize yourself with how to use and move about SL.
- Second Life Wiki Help Portal – Take a look through some of the tutorials and videos.
- Destination Guide – New Resident Resources – Check out the destination guide for more orientations, tutorials and other resources.
Customizing Your Avatar:
- Inventory System folders – In your library folder check out “Clothing > Initial Outfits” and you will find a huge collection of different avatars you can change yourself into. This includes the latest non-human avatars.
- Appearance Editor – Get yourself familiar with the appearance editor so you can change your shape to your liking.
- What’s your Digits? – In April of 2011 I did a post requesting people to share some of their shape numbers and received a great response. You can check out the digits flickr group to get an idea about numbers for your preferred shape.
EDIT: Vaki Zenovka took all the numbers people shared and found the average and is now giving away the average sized shapes for free FULL PERM. Read her post about it here.
Freebies for New Residents:
- elymode by Elysium Eilde – Lots of free clothing samples for girls. Only for residents younger than 30 days.
- Another Stupid Shirt Shop by Photos Nikolaidis – Unisex clothing (jeans, tanktops, sweater) eyes and guyliner. Only for residents younger than 30 days.
- More Freebies in this plurk I created that plurk so everyone can continue to share stores, slurls and designer’s names that offer free products to Second life residents. Please feel free to add any stores you feel belong on this list or leave them in the comments of this post.
- Free Dove by Palomma Casanova – A collection of free clothing for males and females from established designers across the grid.
- StrawberrySingh.com Simple Photo Studio (free) – If you are interested in doing a bit of photography when you are all fixed up, I have a free photo studio that may be of some assistance.
Blogs that feature freebies that are available across the grid on a regular basis:
- SL Freebies Cheapies Dollarbies Lucky Chairs Hunts – A feed of several different freebie blogs.
- Free*Style – One of the best freebie blogs.
- More Freebie Blogs in this plurk – A large list of SL freebie blogs as shared by SL plurkers. Please feel free to add your own.
- Seraphim – Not a freebie blog, but an event blog that covers daily sales events grid wide.
Once you are comfortable with yourself inworld and would like to further customize your avatar using high quality items, check out the various fashion feeds that display styling from thousands of SL fashion bloggers. Here are just a few:
The first question people usually ask me is, “Does it cost money to play Second Life?” Honestly, you can get by without spending anything and by picking up free items across the grid. But to really be able to customize your avatar and enjoy it to the fullest, linden dollars can be quite useful. Once you have the means, please remember to give back to the generous content creators that have shared so many wonderful free items with the community.
Welcome and have fun Exploring Second Life. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
2014 Update: Advice for Second Life Newbies Challenge – I started a blog challenge asking people to share some advice for newcomers that have just joined Second Life. Quite a few people have shared some informative suggestions. Read my advice along with others in the comments of the post as well.
» For more of my tutorials, check out my tutorials page.