Advice for Second Life Newbies Challenge
I’ve been a bit preoccupied the past few days with some work so because of this, the Ebbe meme I had planned will have to wait for another week or so. Luckily, Mr. Skell Dagger sent me a few meme suggestions this morning and this one seemed as if it would be quick and easy.
Meme Instructions: List 5 pieces of advice you would give to a newcomer that has just joined Second Life. Don’t forget to leave a link to your post or advice in the comments.
- Shameless self-promotion here, but read my Second Life Newbie Resource. I wrote it in 2011 so it is a bit dated, but it still has a lot of information about starting up, picking up some freebies and customizing your avatar, that you may find informative.
- This is Second Life, be who and what you want to be (as long as it’s not illegal). If you want to be a baby dragon with fairy wings that likes to do somersaults, you do that and don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t! Also, tell me when and where you find that outfit.
- Don’t be a jerk just because you can be. A lot of people tend to treat people like complete trash and say and do the most wretched things because they are safely behind their computers and can’t be given a much deserved punch in the face. Please be a decent human being and not a total douche canoe to everyone you meet inworld.
- Doesn’t matter what you heard, not everyone is in Second Life for sex. So please, don’t start conversations with, “wanna have sex?” Would you walk into a place in the real world and ask a stranger the same question? You really won’t make any friends that way.
- Don’t feel discouraged if you don’t ‘get it’ right away. I spent months attaching boxes to my head, distorting my shape, and all kinds of other things before I got the hang of how to use and enjoy Second Life. There is a big learning curve and it does take time to get the hang of things, but once you do, you have a wonderful playground to play in and be and build whatever you want.
Please remember that you can participate in any of the memes/challenges at any time. You’ll find them all under my Blog Challenges category along with other memes and challenges I’ve done over the years.
The Mens Dept is celebrating its second anniversary this month. Hard to believe it’s already been two years of this event. Although not all of the clothes released at this event are always to my taste, I have been introduced to a lot of new mesh creators because of it. This round they have quite a lot of designers participating. You can click over to the gallery on their blog to see all they are offering before taking the SLurl and heading down there.
*Skin: Clef de Peau:Jonathan:T4 Ginger Brows by Marcopol Oh (flickr) (@ TMD)
Hair: [INK] Hair___JIJI ::Brown by Nontroppo Torii (blog)
Hairbase: …:::DURA:::… Hairbase – Brown by Naotsune Enzo
*Glasses: S O R G O – AKIRA / Leak (G) by Arscene Dubrovna (flickr)
*Shirt: *Shai* Men’s Dirty Plaid Shirt – M by Shai Delacroix (blog) (@ TMD)
*Jeans: FATEwear Jeans – Skinny Billy (Low)(M) by Damien Fate
Mesh Hands: Slink Male Hands (AvEnhance) M – Relax by Siddean Munro
*BackPack: ISON – canvas bucket bag (tan) by Harry Hyx (flickr) (@ TMD)
*Pose+Sofa: The Loft – Umberto Knole Sofa Beige by Nardya Rousselot (flickr) (@ TMD)
44 thoughts on “Advice for Second Life Newbies Challenge”
Ok, I know this’ll prob make some people upset, but, how about a name that is actually spelled with letters that one can read? I mean, just because Linden gave us the ability to make a display name in the Predator’s native language, don’t always mean it is a good idea!
Here’s one “Before you buy a Demo try” :)Posted this on the feeds also:)
Here’s my addition – this was a really fun exercise; it made me really think about what I feel worked about my time in Second Life.
Let’s hear it for noobs! Here’s my post: http://poultryreport.blogspot.com/2014/04/advice-for-second-life-newbies.html
NOT a fashion post!
I think these would be my top 5.
1. Ask lots of questions, don’t try and figure it out on your own.
2. Take your time and learn the basics.
3. Forget about freebies. Just 5.00 US will set any avatar up with a great look.
4. Explore, explore, explore. Having a home is great, having a normal hangout is too, but get out and see what is what.
5. Stick with the default LL viewer until you are really comfy with SL. The TPV viewers often have feature sets that add complexity or features. Wait till you know what things you need before making the move.
Pingback: Listen to Uncle Skell | Virtual Bloke
Happy to help!
Ahh, the pungent smell of fine, fresh newbiedom. I remember 2007 well. The days of boxes on heads, shoes up butts, accidental boobage (even on the guys), and suddenly realising that handshake animation you were offered wasn’t quite as innocent as it seemed…
Need to read them all!
This is mine!
Angela’s Newbies Challenge
Here’s my advice for newbies:
1) Go to NCI and Caledon Oxbridge and take as many classes as you can.
2) Hang out at The Shelter. Not only is it a fun place that’s nearly always busy and nearly always has friendly oldbies around to help, it also has a money tree for residents under 60 days so you can pick up those dollarbies.
3) Good quality freebies for both women and men can be found at White Tiger Island, Ydea, Gizza and Shiki (the last three require group joining which is free).
4) Explore, explore, explore. You’ll never find the awesome places or make friends if you don’t make maximum use of the Search facility.
5) Learn at least basic object editing even if you don’t intend to begin content-creation. How to recolour, retexture, resize and “edit linked parts” will go a long way even if all you’re interested in is making your avatar look good.
And an addition to #3: Read http://fabfree.wordpress.com/ for more quality freebies.
Here’s mine! http://picsbypeep.com/2014/04/08/advice-for-second-life-newbies-challenge-common-sense/
Good meme challenge again, Berry. Although I know kinda exactly that roundabout 0.0000001% of n00bs will ever getto see your meme challenge or our answers it was quite cathartic fun doing it.
Here’s my answers:
Pingback: 5 Quick tips for new residents | Cait's World
Pingback: pssssst ….advice for Second Life newbies | Caledon: possessed of character
5 images are worth 5000 words… Se my contribution on this Flickr album 😉
Only one bit of advice from me:
Everyone’s advice got me feel mine is so simple. XD Quite shy to show my first look and some idea on freebie for newbies in here. 😀
Pingback: Monday Meme – Advice to the Noob | a SECOND for Imagination
My bit of advice, jaded as it may be.
Pingback: Welcome Resident! | Surreal Musings
I did it, I did it!! Before Sunday night even!!! Its good to be back.
Here’s my contribution: To the Noobs, To Make Much of Time.
Hi! *waves Shyly*
here’s mine: http://www.cherylblossoms.com/1/post/2014/04/advice-for-second-life-newbies-challenge.html
I do hope newbies manage to find these tips. There are some really good ones! Here’s my two Lindens: http://aylaanddolly.blogspot.com/2014/04/dear-dollys-advice-for-sl-newbies.html
Pingback: My Newcomer’s Guide to Second Life | Canary Beck
Great idea Berry, here are my five tips for newcomers! http://canarybeck.com/2014/04/09/my-newcomers-guide-to-second-life/
Pingback: Second Life: Runaway Online | The Luci Logs
Here are mine! Great meme!
Brings back a remember-when moment.
I first participated in this week’s Berry’s “Advice for newbies” challenge with a few funny pictures, but the theme triggered some deeper thoughts. So here is an addendum to my first post…:
Advices for newbies, an addendum: the “magical” dimension of SL
Shaylin and I took a stab at it. Keep up the great memes, berry. http://cranstony.blogspot.com/2014/04/advice-to-second-life-newbies-challenge.html
Here is my little contribution : http://vertigesl.blogspot.fr/2014/04/154.html
Hey Berry! Guess who actually blogged? http://styleminions.com/?p=1472
Okay a bit late, but here’s my advice to the noobies out there: Always be you…cuz it’s all you got in life. Don’t take anything too seriously or you’ll miss out on the fun.
My late addition! With bonus tips!
Pingback: Advice for Second Life Newbies | Moni's World
This looked like something I wanted to do, so here it is. – http://petraslifeandtimes.blogspot.com/2014/04/a-little-something-different.html
Thanks so much everyone for sharing all the wonderful advice. I hope a newbie stumbles upon one of our posts and learns quite a bit then decides to join. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to participate.
This week I’ve flattened the new CEO of Linden Lab for an all new Flat Ebbe Linden Meme! Hope you can participate once again: <3 https://strawberrysingh.com/category/berrys-blogger-challenge
My advice is to read this blog. Oh, wait, newbies don’t know about it! Okay, my advice is that Strawberry Singh install a free advice vendor at EVERY newbie landing spot, with kleig lights, sirens, pink footprints, lighting bolts, ANYTHING that will draw a newbie’s attention. Because I really, really, really wish I had seen all this advice when I was 1 hour old!
Pingback: Second Life™ Newbie Resource - StrawberrySingh.com