What is Google Authorship?
If you are a habitual “Googler” like I am you probably noticed while doing searches that certain search results have the author’s picture and name beside it like mine do in the search results displayed in the image below. This is called Google Authorship. Google introduced Authorship around the end of 2011 and slowly more and more bloggers are taking advantage of this. What exactly is Google Authorship? It’s a way to give your search results a face and name by providing your Google+ profile headshot and your name within the search results.
What are the Benefits of Google Authorship?
- Improved Search Engine Results Page (SERP) rankings
- Higher Click Through Rate (CTR)
- Your search result stands out and looks pretty? :P
- More benefits in this post via copyblogger.com ex: beating plagiarism, guest posts, establish your name, etc..
How Google Authorship has benefited me:
I am going to use two search terms that I get a lot of clicks from as an example. First one is “Windlight Settings” and the other is “Blog Meme” which of those search results would your eyes jump to automatically? I also noticed that because of Google Authorship, if you just google my name “Strawberry Singh” my Google+ Page pops up on the side with pictures and some recent posts on there. Authorship really makes your search results stand out and clearly shows that you are the author of that content!
How to setup Google Authorship:
- Use the Structured Data Testing Tool to see if Google Authorship has already been setup for your blog. If not, then follow the next steps.
- Create a Google+ Account for yourself, and remember to put a clear, sharp headshot as your profile picture on Google+ because that will be the image showing up in search results.
- Follow the instructions on the Google Authorship Page to link your Google+ Profile to the content you create.
- If you have a self-hosted wordpress blog, you can also use any of the Google Authorship plugins to help speed up the process.
- If you get stuck in the setup process, the hostgator blog has very simple to follow step by step instructions. They use the Yoast SEO Plugin to set it up on their blog, which is the one I use as well.
After completing all the steps, you should be able to start seeing your name and picture popping up on search results when using Google. Once you’ve done all of that, don’t forget to add a Google+ badge to your blog so people know you are on Google+ and can add you to their circles.
Benefits of joining Google+ for Second Life Residents
- Google+ has a strong Second Life community with over 1200 members:
- Google+ now has hashtags so it makes it easier to follow topics on there:
» For more of my tutorials, check out my tutorials page.