I get this question so often from many of my readers and youtube subscribers that I figured I would write up a quick post about it directing you to some links and information that can assist you in starting your content creating adventure in Second Life.
The following links were provided to me from my friends on plurk, feel free to add links to more resources in the comments of this post:
- Learn 3D Modelling – The Complete Blender Creator Course – This course is not specific to Second Life but it teaches blender thoroughly and can assist you in creating beautiful mesh creations in Second Life.
- Avastar – Avastar is a Blender Addon for creating & animating Characters for Second Life and other worlds.
- Machinimatrix – Gaia Clary does tutorials specific to Second Life, Avastar and Blender.
- Blender Cycles for Second Life and Opensim – Chic Aeon has a playlist full of tutorials for Second Life and Blender.
- Create Mesh – Online Mesh Courses – This course covers mesh creation using Maya for Second Life. Please note, I have been told that this course may be a bit outdated now because it does not cover Second Life mesh bodies so if you are looking to create clothing, you may need to look for more assistance on fitting the popular mesh bodies in Second Life.
- MayaStar Plugin System for Maya – Cathy Foil makes the Mayastar plugin for Maya, which makes it easier to get the Second Life body into Maya, and rig and animate it. She also has a lot of tutorials on her youtube channel.
- Metaverse Tutorials – A tutorial aggregator site which has a wide range of tutorials for building, photography, fashion and more for lots of different programs.
- More suggestions in my plurk – If you have more suggestions for new and upcoming content creators, please do link them in the comments of this post so we can have more content to play around with in Second Life.
- Designer Kits: If you are planning to create clothing, don’t forget to apply to get the designer kits for different mesh bodies so you can make your clothing fit them perfectly. Here a few links to some of the popular bodies that I know of: Maitreya, SLink, Signature, Belleza, Nardcotix. please feel free to share more links to other designer developer kits in the comments.
- Purchase or Rent Land in Second Life: Once you’ve got some items created, you can look for some commercial land to rent or purchase for a store inworld. I am not familiar with land owners that offer commercial places for rent, etc… but you can check out the Land Forum on the Second Life community forums or feel free to leave a link to your land rentals in the comments of this post.
- Sell your content on the Second Life Marketplace: The fastest and easiest way to sell your content in Second Life is to upload it to the Second Life marketplace. Many merchants, like myself, only have a marketplace store and no store inworld. I do that to save money on land rentals since I only sell my shapes for a small price. To learn how to create a store on the Second Life marketplace and upload your items there, check out the detailed written tutorial on the Second Life community forums by Jeremy Linden. Alicia Chenaux also did a fantastic video tutorial on her youtube channel that you can follow as well.
I hope this list of resources helps you start creating for Second Life and for those veteran creators, please do add any links that you think will also be beneficial to those just starting out. Thank you.
My style details can be found at this link: The Bloggies
The Blogger & Vlogger Network is a group and website built specifically for networking and education purposes. BVN strives to provide bloggers and vloggers with the most pertinent, up-to-date, and interactive information available. The BVN inworld group is free to join and open to all bloggers and vloggers. Every week they also hold live discussion panels where they have different bloggers, […] Continue reading →
I’ve had numerous requests for this post so I thought I’d do it quickly before I leave for vacation. I use the Firestorm Viewer whenever I record video in Second Life so I will be showing the tricks and tips for recording without interruptions on that viewer. The goal of this post is to show […] Continue reading →
I was requested by the Powder Pack team to create two videos that were short tutorials for Catwa and LeLutka mesh heads. In the videos they wanted me to cover some of the questions they often get from their subscribers about the heads along with some basic viewer settings that will help people see their […] Continue reading →
I continue to get numerous questions about this so I thought I would do a detailed tutorial with a video so you guys can also get into Second Life vlogging and live streaming. Watch my video on YouTube for all the information: https://youtu.be/NLciu-Dt7Q4 Recording, Editing and Streaming Software OBS Studio (to record and/or live stream) In […] Continue reading →
Discord is a freeware VoIP (voice over Internet Protocol) that lets you communicate with other people through voice or text, similar to the way you might have using Skype or TeamSpeak, but it seems to have more features. The reason I wanted to talk about it today is because it’s geared towards gamers and I’ve […] Continue reading →
The Blogger & Vlogger Network is a group and website built specifically for networking and education purposes. BVN strives to provide bloggers and vloggers with the most pertinent, up-to-date, and interactive information available. The BVN inworld group is free to join and open to all bloggers and vloggers. Every week they also hold live discussion panels […] Continue reading →
Kultivate Magazine is having their 2nd annual Art show from April 3rd till 9th, 2017. Over 50 artists are participating in this week long celebration of 2D and 3D art. This year’s event will also feature a new series, “Art Talks,” which will feature informational sessions on a variety of topics such as photography in Second Life, copyright […] Continue reading →
After several requests, I have finally got around to doing an Introduction to Second Life series. I will share a few videos I’ve recently done, along with some I’ve done in the past, which hopefully assist you in understanding how Second Life works and what you can do there. I will share each video and […] Continue reading →
On Saturday, June 25th the Seraphim team will be making our Second Life shopping experience even more convenient! They will release a shopping HUD, for FREE, which will assist you in discovering all of the current shopping events going on in Second Life and teleport to them with just a click of a button inworld. I’ve […] Continue reading →
Last year I released a few physics layers on the marketplace for L$1. Since then I’ve received a wonderful response to them along with many questions on how to modify them. Today I was finally able to make a tutorial showing you guys how you can edit those layers, or create your own physics layer, […] Continue reading →
If you’re following me on Facebook or Twitter, you might have noticed my updates a few minutes before I started streaming Second Life live on my Youtube Gaming channel. I planned to share photography tips last night while I streamed, but after watching it this morning I realized it didn’t go as well as I […] Continue reading →
Maitreya AutoHide BodyFaces allows creators to place a script in their mesh clothing, that hides the parts of the body that need to be hidden for that item. When the mesh clothing item gets attached, it will automatically hide the sections that were programmed in the script to hide. This makes it easier for us […] Continue reading →
A few weeks ago I blogged a water tutorial that required you guys to download the Flood plugin for photoshop. Today I’m blogging a tutorial that will let you play with water inworld, instead of photoshop. The talented and very generous Cory Edo of Trompe Loeil has released 10 water normal maps for free which […] Continue reading →
I wasn’t planning on doing a tutorial for this plugin, but I had so much difficulty installing it that when I finally got it installed, I figured it would be a good idea to do a tutorial on it as well. I heard about Flaming Pear’s Flood Photoshop plugin from another Second Life resident and […] Continue reading →