Let me just start off by saying, I am not saying goodbye to Second Life! Also, even though this is my Monday Meme post, it’s not really a typical meme or challenge. There has just been so much talk about the new Second Life Terms of Service that were updated on August 15th, that I thought I would take this opportunity to ask a bunch of questions that have been swirling around in my head. I’m curious as to how everyone is reacting to this, what they think about it and what, if any, are their future plans. Will you be saying goodbye to Second Life?
Now, before I start with the questions, let me offer a few links that have a lot of information:
- Linden Lab Terms of Service – Please examine paragraph 5 of sections 2.3.
- A scrutiny of the recent changes to Second Life’s ToS by Mona Eberhardt
- Comparison of LL’s TOS with the TOS of other companies by Inara Pey
- People that have left Second Life because of the new TOS: Qarl Fizz, Bryn Oh, Tuna Oddfellow and Shava Suntzu (Shava’s post on Google+). (Correction: Some of these people are not actually leaving SL, please read the comments for details.)
- Second Life Terms of Service: A legal panel via Vaki Zenovka – Vaki put together a panel of IP attorneys and they discussed the latest changes to Second Life’s Terms of Service at an open event that was held on Saturday, October 19 at 10am SLT. Unfortunately I was not able to make it, however I have listened to an hour of it so far. The audio/video of this event is available at this link if you are interested.
UPDATE: Someone actually posted the full video of this panel on youtube: http://youtu.be/jifM2n4ttSE
Now that you have taken a look at some of those links and caught up on what’s been going on about the TOS controversy, here are some questions for you to answer:
- Do you usually read the TOS thoroughly before you hit accept? No, I usually didn’t before. I’m pretty bad about that but I have been making more of an effort to read now. If I’m in a rush, sometimes I will Google or ask on Twitter about changes before I accept them.
- How do you feel about the new LL TOS changes, specially from August 15th and section 2.3. After reading it myself, then reading everyone’s opinions about it and finally listening to the panel a bit; I realize that the TOS changes are not exactly very friendly towards SL residents, specifically those that are creating content inworld.
- Do the changes affect you directly? I think they affect me indirectly in a sense since I use SL and even though I am not a content creator, I still purchase content and if content creators decide to leave then there won’t be much for me to purchase. Does it affect me directly? No, I don’t believe it does (I could be wrong?). I don’t own any sims, I don’t have a store. I just login, buy stuff, put together outfits, take pictures, blog and then I go back to my real life. It doesn’t affect me directly because I don’t earn my living on SL and I’m not dependent on it. To me, it’s just a form of entertainment.
- What do you think people should do about this new change? I’m not sure to be honest. I’ve been reading a lot about what people think. They believe that Linden Lab doesn’t really care about Second Life and they are just keeping it going because it still makes money and they use that to fund other projects and apps that they are looking to get into. Do I believe that myself? Maybe a little bit. I don’t know what people should do about it though. I do know that when Instagram changed their TOS last year, I was one of the millions of people that closed their accounts. I quickly realized that the majority of these social media companies have similar TOS and can use any of the content that we upload for just about anything. A good example of that would be the recent changes Google has made. I’ve pretty much disabled or closed all of my real life facebook, twitter, instagram and other social media accounts that I had. Now I just use Social Media with my SL pseudonym and try not to share too much real content on any of it. That’s not to say that I’m not protective of my SL content, (my pictures, blog posts, etc..) but I’m willing to accept their TOS when it comes to my SL content.
- Are you or have you ever thought about leaving Second Life? What would you do with your time/blogs/career if you ever did? I’ve never actually thought about leaving Second Life because of the LL TOS. I did briefly think about leaving it a while back for personal reasons, but I changed my mind. If I were to leave, or if LL were to shutdown SL, I would probably just find something else to occupy my time with. SL and blogging is my hobby. I can see myself possibly turning this blog into a social media or a RL fashion blog. My career would stay the same as SL does not affect that in any way.
You can answer these questions in the comments or in your own blog post. Since this isn’t really a typical meme or challenge, if you’re not interested in answering them or partaking in this discussion, feel free to do any of my memes/challenges from before.
I’ve been pretty quiet just watching all of this chaos since the TOS changes. I’m not sure what the future holds for Second Life, but I do know that as long as it is there, I’ll probably still be here, blogging about it.