Every society has some unspoken rules that the residents try to follow because they are the rules of etiquette, or social norms which are considered acceptable in a group or society. Like in the real world, when riding an escalator you stand on the right and walk on the left. When a new member joins the community, it may take them time to learn all the unspoken rules, usually with some experience.
I was recently chatting with some old friends in Second Life and they suggested I do this as one of my #SecondLifeChallenge posts. I figured it would be an informative one for new residents in Second Life as well as a good refresher for us oldbies.
Here are the instructions for the #SecondLifeChallenge this week: Share some unspoken rules in Second Life that you’ve learned over the years. Don’t forget to leave a link to your post in the comments!
- Don’t send random friend requests to strangers: Probably one of my biggest pet peeves, logging into friend requests from people that I’ve never spoken to. I’ve heard many other residents complain about this as well, so before sending a friend request to someone, try to speak to them first and make sure it’s okay with them as some people like to keep their friends list inworld reserved for those that are close to them. That being said, if they say no to the request, please do not take it personally.
- Read profiles before contacting people: I highly recommend you read people’s profiles and see how they prefer to be contacted before sending a message inworld, especially if you are contacting a content creator for customer service assistance. You will most probably get faster and better assistance if you see what it says on their profile first.
- Don’t send mass teleports to your whole friends list: I know you want to invite everyone on your friends list to your party, but it’s very inconvenient for people to receive these and then accidentally click on them whilst being naked and end up right in the middle of the club with their boobs out. Trust me, I speak from experience. Don’t send mass teleports please, message people individually and ask if they want to come first.
- Move your avatar away from the landing point: When arriving at a location in Second Life, especially if it’s a crowded event, try moving your avatar away from the landing point as soon as you can so it doesn’t cause a pile up in one spot and lag people out. This is something I’m guilty of myself at times as I forget but I do my best to try and remember to just take a few steps forward so I get out of the way.
- Don’t add residents to your mailing lists without asking: It’s happened to me many times and it can be quite irritating. I’ve gone and purchased one item from a store and without asking me, the creator has added me to their subscription list so I start receiving messages of all their new releases. I know I have not signed up for this myself so I go to the store and try to find a way to unsubscribe and there is nothing in their store that shows me how to do that or it’s hidden. Really doesn’t make me want to purchase or promote your store again. Please don’t do this, ask people if they want to be added before adding them.
I want to give credit to my plurk friends for giving me some of the rules in my list above as I was drawing a blank after a few. I only wanted to add a couple more to my list so I’m linking to the plurk itself as so many of them have shared some great unspoken rules that I think a lot of you will find informative.
I also did this challenge in vlog format so click over to my youtube video for more detailed answers:
I hope you guys also take a moment to share more unspoken rules that you wish others knew about and followed. You don’t have to have a blog to do this challenge, you can do it on any social media platform or vlog on youtube. Just don’t forget to tag your post with #SecondLifeChallenge and then leave the link to your post in the comments of this post.
Please remember there is no time limit to do this challenge, you can participate in any #SecondLifeChallenge at any time. You’ll find them all under my Blog Challenges category along with other memes and challenges I’ve done over the years. I’ve also started a #SecondLifeChallenge playlist on my YouTube channel.
Just a reminder that you only have one more day to sign up for the BVN Blogger & Vlogger Secret Santa Swap. I have already signed up and can’t wait to participate. You have until December 5th to sign up and then on the 10th you will receive your recipient’s name. Watch out for my Secret Santa blog post soon after the 10th! Hope you participate!
My Style Credits:
Shape: StrawberrySingh.com Lilly Shape by Strawberry Singh (coming soon)
*Mesh Body: Maitreya Mesh Body – Lara V4.1 by Onyx LeShelle
*Mesh Head: CATWA HEAD Lilly v3.1 by Catwa Clip
*Skin Applier: *YS&YS* Gacha 01 – NALA Tone03 Nude – RARE by Monicuzza Babenco (Arcade)
*Eyes Applier: Avi-Glam Natural Eyes by Kendra Parfort
*Lipstick: A R T E – Honey Lips by Miriam Lemondrop (Powder Pack Catwa Sept 2017)
*Hair: Tableau Vivant \\ Veronika hair [messy] by M4ri1yn Magic (Uber)
*Necklace: CHAIN – Shanna Necklace Set by MazyChain (Group Gift)