One year ago today, on April 15th, I became a Linden and started working for a company that completely changed my life. I am so thankful that I found Second Life back in 2007, and feel so blessed to be doing something I absolutely love. I still get a lot of love from the Second Life community and I just wanted to pop my head back onto this blog and thank you all for that.
Here are some of the visible projects I’ve been working on at Linden Lab:
- Social Media: I’ve been handling all the Second Life social media since January 2020. If you haven’t followed the social media accounts, click over and do so now so you can keep up with all of our announcements and updates.
- Lab Gab: Lab Gab is a live-streamed variety show that showcases events, destinations, and different talents across Second Life. I have different members of the community, along with Linden Lab employees, answering questions and taking me on field trips.
- Showcase Streams: Showcase Streams is a new and recurring series of live spontaneous short videos that aim to spotlight the many music, art, and cultural events in Second Life. If you’d like to be featured on a Showcase Stream, fill out the form. To catch our spontaneous Showcase Streams live, make sure you are subscribed to the Second Life YouTube channel.
- SecondLifeChallenges: I have continued doing my Second Life Challenges and was provided a whole section on the Community Forums where I can run them. If you are ever looking for a fun challenge, check out the ones I’ve done so far since January 2020.
- Destination Guide: I’m on the team that maintains the Destination Guide and spend hours a week exploring amazing creations by Second Life Residents and adding them to the guide. If you’re looking for places to explore, check it out, along with my weekly Highlights from the Destination Guide blog posts that I post every Friday afternoon in the Featured News section of our Community Blogs. For a chance to have your destination listed on the guide, fill out the form.
- Second Life Blogger Network: I’m on the team that curates and posts the blog posts coming in from our very talented community. If you are a Second Life blogger (or vlogger) that wants to join the Second Life Blogger Network (SLBN), fill out the submission form.
- Second Life Pic of the day: I’m on the team that decides which image should be showcased as the Second Life pic of the day. For a chance to have your image featured as the pic of the day, please join and submit your images to our Official Second Life Flickr Group. Make sure to read the rules before you join!
- New User Tutorials: I started work on some tutorials for new Residents to Second Life. But I’ve had to pause on that for a while because of other things on my plate. However, I plan to continue doing them very soon, including more complex ones for advance users. In the meantime, I’ve been adding informative video tutorials by Second Life Residents to this YouTube playlist.
- Second Life Book Club: I help stream the Book Club once a month to the Second Life YouTube channel, and other platforms. The Second Life Book Club is a series of literary-minded events. Draxtor Despres will bring established as well as up-and-coming authors, poets, publishers and indie store owners together for virtual book discussions. For more information and to suggest show topics or guests, please visit: draxtor.com/slbookclub. Watch all of the Book Club live streams in our YouTube playlist.
5 Interesting facts I’ve picked up as a Linden Employee:
- When we talk about the community and call them Residents, we always capitalize Residents. I’ve been told it’s a form of respect. Same rule applies when we say Merchants or Content Creators.
- We call them regions, not sims. Regions run on simulators and if you call them sims then Patch Linden will yell at you. Sometimes I call them sims on purpose so Patch Linden can yell at me, because my crush on Patch is still very active.
- We have a Tao of Linden, that I do my best to follow. The Tao of Linden was created at the very beginning of Linden Lab, and it continues to be our guiding principles to this day.
- Linden Lab employees are some of the most helpful and genuinely kind. Anytime I am stuck or need help understanding or doing anything, I can reach out to anyone in the company and they will jump right in to help me out. I love working with them.
- Linden Lab, not Linden Labs! There is no ‘S’ which I already knew from before, but thought I should share since it is often misspelled.
I missed taking pictures of my original avatar, so I dressed her up recently and took a few pictures with some of my favorite items on the grid.
I hope during these trying times you all are staying safe and staying home with your loved ones. Lots of love and virtual hugs for you all! <3