Good morning and happy Saturday you guys! I have a few quick announcements regarding creating machinima in Second Life, rules for Second Life recording, Second Life YouTubers, and an update to my movie poster challenge! But first, here is another dancing video I did recently and shared on my YouTube channel. I’m really enjoying making these and plan to do more soon!
Video on Youtube: https://youtu.be/LjEAx8Qu-xk
Capturing Video in Second Life
Ever since I’ve started making more videos in SL, I’ve been getting many people contacting me on a daily basis asking how I made these videos. I asked my friends on plurk to suggest some software they use so you can find all of that info in this plurk, but I am also going to summarize a few of the suggestions here:
- Camtasia – I use Camtasia to capture and edit the videos you see on my youtube channel. This software is not free. I also use a 3D Mouse to zoom around at times, especially for my dance videos. Please click over to my computer specs page to see a list of all of my current hardware and software.
- CamStudio – is opensource and completely free. They have a forum you can check out if you have any questions about it.
- Fraps – There is a free and a paid version ($37) of Fraps. If you use the free version, it will place the Fraps watermark on your video.
- Open Broadcaster Software – Completely free and was initially made for streaming but you can save the video if you prefer.
- Check this plurk for more info – There are many more suggestions in this plurk by my plurk friends along with a lot of tips and information regarding recording in SL, such as holding “CTRL ALT F1” to clear the user interface inworld. I highly recommend that you read this plurk if you plan to make Second Life machinima.
Rules for Capturing Video in Second Life
Before you start on your vlogging or machinima making adventure in Second Life, please note that there are certain rules that Linden Lab has put in place that you need to be aware of. Please click over and read Linden Lab’s snapshot and machinima policy in detail:
If the convenant of the sim does not mention snapshots at all, then you are free to take as many pictures as you like there. However, if it doesn’t mention machinima (video) at all, then you must ask permission first before shooting your video at that location. This is something that not a lot of people are aware of. I sincerely request sim owners to please take a moment right now and put in your convenants that you allow snapshots and machinima, to make it easier on us who like to explore and shoot. Thank you!
Second Life YouTubers
There is a growing community of Second Life residents on youtube sharing beautifully coordinated machinima and also vlogging their second lives. I have been trying to add every SL account I see on Youtube putting out positive and encouraging videos to my subscribed channels page. If you are looking for residents to follow and watch on youtube, here are a few that I’ve noticed are vlogging or sharing SL videos regularly:
- Second Life – Linden Lab has a Youtube channel where they regularly share tutorials and other informative videos.
- Strawberry Singh – I’m trying to put out more videos reguarly. Mostly fashion related videos along with dancing and tutorials thrown in there from time to time.
- Cassie Middles – Cassie just recently started vlogging and has been sharing fashion related videos. She has the sweetest voice!
- Kawaiilian Resident – The Dreams in Motion Second Life vlog channel is run by Kawaiilian, also known as Chloë-Dakota Rose. She makes adorable vlogs regularly sharing her fashion and style sense in Second Life.
- Morgana Hilra – Morgana has been vlogging for over a year now and shares her opinions and thoughts on a lot of the latest fashion releases in Second Life.
- Mericat Ireland – Meri puts out a dancing video almost every single day. She is a regular fashion blogger and for each look that she blogs, she does a video of herself dancing in that outfit so you can see how that outfit will look if you decide to go clubbing in it. I think it’s such a great idea and both her blog and channel are a must follow!
- Alicia Chenaux – Alicia has created a few videos in the past, one great tutorial as well. With her latest video she said she is interested in vlogging more often so please subscribe and leave a comment for her on her last video to encourage her to do more, she has the most adorable voice!
- Inara Pey – We know that Inara has one of the most informative blogs about Second Life but she also creates beautiful machinima of different Second Life locations.
- Wendz Tempest – Wendz also creates beautiful machinima of different travel location in Second Life.
- Pepa Cometa – Pepa recently created one of the most inspirational and beautiful Second Life machinima about the 1920s Berlin sim. She has many others on her channel of different location in Second Life.
- Glasz DeCuir – Very talented machinima artists with a wide variety of content on her channel.
- More Second Life Residents on Youtube – Please check out my subscriptions page and see even more talented residents sharing their content on youtube.
I just highlighted a few residents that I noticed released content on youtube within that past week or so. There are so many more doing amazing work there so please make sure to check out my subscriptions page and subscribe to them all. If you have a youtube channel that features Second Life machinima, please leave your link in the comments and I’ll make sure to subscribe!
If you are not on YouTube but wish to watch great quality machinima as well, I suggest signing up with SLArtist, they curate and share a large number of quality machinima from all over.
Update to my Movie Poster Challenge!
For those of you who are doing my Movie Poster Challenge this week, if you are also submitting your posters to Glasz DeCuir’s flickr group, Lapiscean Liberty (founder of SLArtist and AviewTV) has donated money so now Glasz has made it into a contest and is offering linden prizes to the top three posters as well. You can find all of the details about the contest in the Flickr Group or her Facebook Page. Please note that I am not involved with the contest part of this challenge. If you have any questions about the contest, please contact Glasz DeCuir as she is running it. Thank you.
I think that about covers everything I wanted to share today. Please do leave links to other Second Life residents that are sharing content on YouTube. I am looking to subscribe to even more positive and inspirational channels! Thank you. <3
What I’m wearing in the video:
*Mesh Body: Maitreya Mesh Body – Lara V3.5 by Onyx LeShelle
Mesh Head: LOGO Alex v3.0 by Maximillion Grant
*Skin Applier: Insol: ‘Tatyana’ skin for LOGO Alex by Almercury
*Eyes: IKON Triumph Eyes – Brown by Ikon Innovia
*Hair: Exile::Empty Pages by Kavar Cleanslate (@ C88)
*Outfit: Zaara : Chandni lehenga by Zaara Kohime
*Jewelry: Maxi Gossamer Maharani – The Complete Collection by Maxi Gossamer
*Tattoo: Letis Tattoo Diwali by Leti Hax
Dances: Bellydance from Animazoo and Shakira dance from MyAnimation
Location: Work in Progress Build by Zaara Kohime not open to the public yet