Second Life Addiction
My real life has been so busy these days that I haven’t had much time for Second Life. Even though my mind is preoccupied with work, I still feel the longing to login. The addiction keeps calling me back. I say this is just a hobby to me, which it is, but it also seems to have a hold over me. I really enjoy logging in, playing around with my avatar, exploring sims, shopping, taking pictures or just chatting with some old friends once in a while. Is that really an addiction though? I know it helps me escape from real world pressures and relaxes me. I guess that does kind of sound like a drug addiction. Is that what Second Life does for you? Do you feel like you are ‘addicted?’
I don’t know if I actually have an addiction or it’s just a form of entertainment I enjoy. But I do know that I have always gotten a sense of solace from it. My most favorite thing to do in Second Life is playing around with my avatar’s looks of course, then taking a headshot of my face and following that up with hours of enjoyment in Photoshop.
Lately I’ve been experimenting more with my avatar, trying on different faces and mesh heads. But I always seem to go back to my original face as I feel like it’s more ‘me’ which is odd since it’s just an avatar in a virtual world. I think my mesh head experimenting though has resulted in some nightmares recently:
Last night I had a dream that a gigantic avatar with a rotating head was chasing me. This must be the mesh head syndrome. #SecondLife
— Strawberry Singh (@strawberrysingh) November 5, 2015
which is rather hilarious if you think about it. It’s definitely fun to dress up and explore and discover yourself in different ways.
Do you feel that you have an addiction and what is it that you like to do most in Second Life? I thought I’d do a few polls for fun to see just how addicted we all are:
The next poll is going to be a long one. I wanted to show all there is to do in our little vitural world so this should be interesting. A big thank you to my plurky friends for helping me with this even though I didn’t write ALL of the suggestions they provided, lol! Multiple selections are allowed but try and pick just one or a few of your MOST favorite activities if you can.
With all of these activities available in Second life, it’s no wonder a lot of us are so addicted!
What I’m wearing:
*Mesh Body: Maitreya Mesh Body – Lara V3.4 by Onyx LeShelle
*Skin: -Glam Affair – Caroline Jamaica – Clean F by Aida Ewing (@ Uber)
*Mesh Eyeliner: –Glam Affair– Couture Eyeliner no.03 by Aida Ewing
Eyelashes: MonCheri “Falsies” Eyelash by Freya Olivieri
*Eyes: IKON Charm Eyes – Industrial by Ikon Innovia
*Hair: Exile::Fire To The Rain AON by Kavar Cleanslate (flickr)
*Dress: .miss chelsea. Raya Dress Maitreya Charcoal by MissChelseaStore (@ FaMESHed)
Since it’s Friday, I thought I would do a Weekly Roundup as well because I have so much more that I want to share!
- Photographer of the Week – Kei Kojishi – Kei’s pictures are just full of life, so much so that the avatar looks like it’s just going to start moving and pop out of the page. He is one of the new photographers I just added to my Second Life Photographer’s Page.
- Updates in my Marketplace store – A few days ago I updated my Ankle Lock on there to include both versions of it. I had removed version 1 and replaced is with version 2 back in May, however version 2 doesn’t seem to work for some people. So now I have included both versions in the folder. Please read the notecard inside the folder to see WHY I had removed version 1 so you know what the issue is with that one. I have also removed the free version of my Ankle Lock and just left the L$1 version up because too many people were messaging me confused as to why it was listed twice.
- Hairology – An interesting new Hair event is starting in Second Life and it will start on the 10th of each month. Since I am such a hair addict, I am SO looking forward to this one! There is an application form on there for designers looking to participate!
- Linden Lab has updated the starter Avatars for Second Life – I actually really like these. They are not complete mesh avatars like before, but instead just default SL avatars that are nicely dressed in mesh wear. A lot less confusing for newbies! Check them out at Join.SecondLife.com – and see reactions from other residents on plurk.
- American Election 2016 – This is going to be such an important election for us Americans so I just want to take a minute to plead with you guys to REGISTER TO VOTE NOW if you haven’t already done so. Along with that, it’s also very important, if you live in a closed state like I do (Florida) that your registration shows you are affiliated with the party you wish to vote for or you will not be eligible to vote for them in the Primaries. To see if you live in a closed State, please check out the FairVote website and see what you need to do to be able to vote in the Primaries. The Primary Election schedule can be found on the Election Central website. If you are not sure who to vote for as of yet, take the quiz on ISideWith.com and see which candidate suits your beliefs best. You can also watch all of the upcoming debates to make your decision. Here is the debate schedule: 2016 Debate Schedule.
- ISideWith.com Quiz for the 2016 Presidential Election: I had done this quiz a few months back so today I thought I would do it again and see where I stand now. Here are my results. I hope you get a chance to do it too and feel free to share your results in the comments if you like!
14 thoughts on “Second Life Addiction”
You’re not addicted, silly. You just have something that you love doing for fun – the way we read or watch tv shows or movies or listen to music. Now if you were online for 18 hours a day every single day, quit your job to be in SL, no longer saw family or friends because of SL, and you couldn’t even take a shower without panicking that something was happening in SL without you… well, now THAT is addicted!!
Maybe I do panic before taking a shower Alicia? YOU DON’T KNOW MY LIFE! 😛
LOL All jokes aside, I see what you mean. Well I guess I’m not addicted then! Kind of a relief tbh.
Pingback: Second Life Addiction - StrawberrySingh.com | &...
sure sounds like how i feel also….we must have the same dealer on the mean sims of second life grid(s).
i used to think there was something wrong with me, that i couldn’t find a partner, husband, in second life. But since i am who i am in both worlds i find that i really don’t need one. I have one in real life. I don’t have to many friends, just one really close one…mirrors first life.
i absolutely think sex in second life is so…funny, i do not participate. i am partnered to my male alt, which i love, we seem so much a like…lol.
i love shopping and playing with the looks and clothing styles of my alt(s).
i really love taking photos and playing in photoshop to!
I enjoy reading blogs, learning new things.
the best club and music in second life to me, is my parcel.
so berry looks like we do indeed have the same dealer…oh and i am ready for another hit.
Thanks for your always informative posts. I decided to take the candidate poll and I’m pretty much split.
I don’t know how to embed or if embedding it would work so here’s the link here:
such an interesting question. first time around I would have had to say probably yes though my participation did wane somewhat as time went by.
After my hiatus I’m totally enjoying wearing an explorer hat. I’ve limited myself in the sense I no longer role play nor do I own house or parcel. I love seeing the art work of others. Having no commitments definitely changes one’s point of view. My first life is also quite busy! I think stepping back put much into perspective.
Hi Berry… I was addicted but didn’t realize how addicted until I broke away. It was difficult and several friends were upset with me. I miss the fun and emotions I once enjoyed. I’ve tried to return as other avies, but it’s not ‘me’, so I still feel very connected with my avie. I don’t regret the break because I am using the time for another activity I love. Best wishes always… Yordie
Pingback: What is Your Wish? | A Digital Dreamer
It’s good to see a fellow Democrat bloggers Second Life enthusiast such as my self. I scored 93% agree ability and compatibility with Hillary Clinton. And she is presumptuously the person that I will be voting for in the 2016 election. I was truly on her side when she ran for office in 2008. And I was highly disappointed to see that she did not get elected president then. I have voted in every single election since I turned 18 which was back in 1993 when I first voted for Bill Clinton. So does very encouraging to see your get out to vote and I applaud them.
I’ve been an avid player for 30 years. I even worked for White Wolf publishing from 1994 to 1997 on their vampire live action products. I’m hoping in the coming year to be able to start my own quasi blog devoted to role playing gotcha and Second Life fashions. I would really like to be able to reference your website as a part of that as a resource for any and all role players in Second Life.
It’s not an addiction, we just have to Shoppity shop our virtual butts off. As for mesh heads, I have one but rarely wear it because it isn’t “me”. I also got Bernie too.
Pingback: Virtual and Real World Overlap | The Bergdorf Reports
I answered the pools and it made me realize I got really lazy lately on SL, for different reasons. There are many more activities we could all do, much more than just chilling around, and I’m looking forward to having the time to try some new ones. – By the way OMG thank you for adding me and the nice description (I’m a man tho XD). I was away from my computer and I really missed it, I’m happy 🙂
Kei I am so sorry about that, I just fixed it.
Thank you all so much for participating. It has been fascinating watching all the results come in and seeing which activities most of you are involved in. It’s amazing how SL has such a bad reputation in the mainstream media and yet we are all here being creative in so many different ways.
Thank you again for participating! <3
Pingback: Second Life Addiction | ShenaniganS Music Cafe