My real life has been so busy these days that I haven’t had much time for Second Life. Even though my mind is preoccupied with work, I still feel the longing to login. The addiction keeps calling me back. I say this is just a hobby to me, which it is, but it also seems to have a hold over me. I really enjoy logging in, playing around with my avatar, exploring sims, shopping, taking pictures or just chatting with some old friends once in a while. Is that really an addiction though? I know it helps me escape from real world pressures and relaxes me. I guess that does kind of sound like a drug addiction. Is that what Second Life does for you? Do you feel like you are ‘addicted?’
I don’t know if I actually have an addiction or it’s just a form of entertainment I enjoy. But I do know that I have always gotten a sense of solace from it. My most favorite thing to do in Second Life is playing around with my avatar’s looks of course, then taking a headshot of my face and following that up with hours of enjoyment in Photoshop.
Lately I’ve been experimenting more with my avatar, trying on different faces and mesh heads. But I always seem to go back to my original face as I feel like it’s more ‘me’ which is odd since it’s just an avatar in a virtual world. I think my mesh head experimenting though has resulted in some nightmares recently:
Last night I had a dream that a gigantic avatar with a rotating head was chasing me. This must be the mesh head syndrome. #SecondLife
— Strawberry Singh (@strawberrysingh) November 5, 2015
which is rather hilarious if you think about it. It’s definitely fun to dress up and explore and discover yourself in different ways.
Do you feel that you have an addiction and what is it that you like to do most in Second Life? I thought I’d do a few polls for fun to see just how addicted we all are:
The next poll is going to be a long one. I wanted to show all there is to do in our little vitural world so this should be interesting. A big thank you to my plurky friends for helping me with this even though I didn’t write ALL of the suggestions they provided, lol! Multiple selections are allowed but try and pick just one or a few of your MOST favorite activities if you can.
With all of these activities available in Second life, it’s no wonder a lot of us are so addicted!
What I’m wearing:
*Mesh Body: Maitreya Mesh Body – Lara V3.4 by Onyx LeShelle
*Skin: -Glam Affair – Caroline Jamaica – Clean F by Aida Ewing (@ Uber)
*Mesh Eyeliner: –Glam Affair– Couture Eyeliner no.03 by Aida Ewing
Eyelashes: MonCheri “Falsies” Eyelash by Freya Olivieri
*Eyes: IKON Charm Eyes – Industrial by Ikon Innovia
*Hair: Exile::Fire To The Rain AON by Kavar Cleanslate (flickr)
*Dress: .miss chelsea. Raya Dress Maitreya Charcoal by MissChelseaStore (@ FaMESHed)
Since it’s Friday, I thought I would do a Weekly Roundup as well because I have so much more that I want to share!
- Photographer of the Week – Kei Kojishi – Kei’s pictures are just full of life, so much so that the avatar looks like it’s just going to start moving and pop out of the page. He is one of the new photographers I just added to my Second Life Photographer’s Page.
- Updates in my Marketplace store – A few days ago I updated my Ankle Lock on there to include both versions of it. I had removed version 1 and replaced is with version 2 back in May, however version 2 doesn’t seem to work for some people. So now I have included both versions in the folder. Please read the notecard inside the folder to see WHY I had removed version 1 so you know what the issue is with that one. I have also removed the free version of my Ankle Lock and just left the L$1 version up because too many people were messaging me confused as to why it was listed twice.
- Hairology – An interesting new Hair event is starting in Second Life and it will start on the 10th of each month. Since I am such a hair addict, I am SO looking forward to this one! There is an application form on there for designers looking to participate!
- Linden Lab has updated the starter Avatars for Second Life – I actually really like these. They are not complete mesh avatars like before, but instead just default SL avatars that are nicely dressed in mesh wear. A lot less confusing for newbies! Check them out at Join.SecondLife.com – and see reactions from other residents on plurk.
- American Election 2016 – This is going to be such an important election for us Americans so I just want to take a minute to plead with you guys to REGISTER TO VOTE NOW if you haven’t already done so. Along with that, it’s also very important, if you live in a closed state like I do (Florida) that your registration shows you are affiliated with the party you wish to vote for or you will not be eligible to vote for them in the Primaries. To see if you live in a closed State, please check out the FairVote website and see what you need to do to be able to vote in the Primaries. The Primary Election schedule can be found on the Election Central website. If you are not sure who to vote for as of yet, take the quiz on ISideWith.com and see which candidate suits your beliefs best. You can also watch all of the upcoming debates to make your decision. Here is the debate schedule: 2016 Debate Schedule.
- ISideWith.com Quiz for the 2016 Presidential Election: I had done this quiz a few months back so today I thought I would do it again and see where I stand now. Here are my results. I hope you get a chance to do it too and feel free to share your results in the comments if you like!