This week’s Monday Meme is brought to you again by Mr. Draxtor Despres. He was having a conversation on twitter with a friend who stated that Second Life pushed him into learning 3D modelling. Draxtor then tagged me and suggested this as a meme, “things Second Life has made people do (or learn)” and since I myself have learned quite a few things because of SL, I figured this should definitely be my next Monday Meme!
Meme instructions: Share things that you have learned because of your involvement in Second Life, either personally or professionally. Don’t forget to leave a link to your post in the comments so others can come by and read your answers as well!
- Photoshop – I had never owned nor tried Adobe Photoshop before I got into Second Life Photography. Now I have it open pretty much the entire day. I’ve never taken any classes but I have watched hundreds of Photoshop tutorials on youtube over the years.
- WordPress – The only blogging I had ever done before I got into Second Life blogging was on the blogspot/blogger platform. I was not familiar with wordpress at all but now that I’ve owned my own domain and been managing a self-hosted wordpress blog for 5 years now, I feel like I’m pretty comfortable with it. I wouldn’t say I’m an expert and going to be coding and designing my own themes now, but I can use it well enough that if I mess it up in some way, I manage to figure it out eventually and fix it on my own as well.
- Budgeting and curbing my shopaholicism – I will be the first to admit that I am still a big shopper, but before Second Life, my addiction was a bit insane in real life. I was never really disciplined about money and living at home, I never had any real world expenses of my own other than just clothing and things I wanted for myself. When I joined Second Life, I made a conscious decision never to put money into the game, but earn a living here myself. So I started out getting a job, which turned into several jobs and photography and running my blog here. Working and earning my money here made me learn to put myself on a budget and actually save up for whatever new item I had my eye on. Now that I’ve been blogging all these years and I earn more in SL, the saving up and budgeting has become a bit easier, but I still try to maintain a certain level of restraint on my spending habits, in both lives.
- Customer Service – I have never worked in retail in the real world so after managing a store in Second Life, I’ve realized that people can be very entitled and difficult to deal with. That also made me reexamine myself in situations where I was the customer and instead of getting frustrated and taking my frustrations out on the csr or designer, I treat them with the courtesy and respect that I would want in return. It’s a very delicate and tricky situation to be in, especially since I am representing someone else’s brand and I don’t want to do anything that would reflect negatively on their brand because of me. It takes a lot of patience and a certain level of courtesy to do a customer service job and I have serious respect for those that do it well in both lives.
- Growing a thicker skin – In the real world, when you share something about yourself and someone has a reaction or an opinion about it, they tend to share their opinions in a somewhat respectable manner since their real names and faces are attached to that opinion. But in the online world, people can hide behind a computer in the safety of their homes and say whatever their evil little heart desires without feeling the repercussions (like my fist in their face) if they had said the same thing in the real world. So I’ve learned that not everyone will like you and will have issues with you and will voice those issues as often as they can. That used to bother me before, now…not so much.
So those are some of the professional and personal things I’ve learned because of Second Life. I hope you can share some of the things that you have learned as well.
Please remember that you can participate in any of the memes/challenges at any time. You’ll find them all under my Blog Challenges category along with other memes and challenges I’ve done over the years. You don’t have to have a blog to do this challenge, you can share your answer in the comments below or on any social platform.
Uber starts on the 25th of each month and this Wednesday it will open with one of my most favorite themes, boho! I am so looking forward to this! Keep an eye on the Uber blog and flickr group for a sneak look at what’s to come.
LeLutka is about to have another beautiful hair release. Two new styles will be available on Wednesday, February 25th. I’m wearing the Honor hair in a brown tone. About a week ago Lelutka had a major update to all of their hair textures. Now there are new color packs available in HUDs. Each new pack has base colors, which then have their own unique to that color fade option. Then a roots base option, with the same fades with roots option, so for an 8 color pack you get 32 looks. Confused yet? Here is a picture of the brown HUD to give you an idea. If you are like me and prefer to change your hair color often, but don’t want to get the fatpack, the Range pack will be the one to look at because you get 15 different colors. Click here to see an image of the Range pack. I am loving this new update and I appreciate the fact that the use of the HUD means less clutter in my inventory.
You’ll notice I am wearing the Maitreya body and feet in this image. The sandals are also from Maitreya but were released a while back. Onyx has now updated these sandals to fit the mesh body. Along with these sandals, she has also updated many of her other older shoes and jeans to fit. You can take a look at her flickr to see some of the items. If you have purchased any of these items in the past, you can hit the redelivery terminal at the Maitreya mainstore for a free update.
*Mesh Body: Maitreya Mesh Body – Lara V2.1 by Onyx LeShelle
*Skin: Glam Affair – Alice skin – Jamaica 01 F by Aida Ewing (@ Shiny Shabby)(slurls)
*Eyes: IKON Charm Eyes – Grey by Ikon Innovia (flickr)
*Hair: .LeLutka.Honor hair.S by Thora Charron (to be released Feb 25th)
*Hair accessory: Miamai_Souvenir Combs_11 by Monica Outlander (@ Shiny Shabby)
*Dress: =Zenith=Bohemian tie a knot long skirt (Begie) S by Miffyhoi Rosca (Coming to Uber)
*Bag: =Zenith=Bohemian Leather small bag(Begie) Unrigged by Miffyhoi Rosca (Coming to Uber)
*Shoes: Maitreya Gold * All Colors * Antheia Sandal Maitreya-Flat by Onyx LeShelle
Tattoo: Letis Tattoo :: Inermis :: omega applier by Leti Hax
*Jewels: GizzA – Boho Set [Stone] by Giz Seorn
*Puppy: ::BEETLEBONES::CORGI PUPPY V.1.2 by suetabulous Yootz (flickr) (no longer available, sorry)
*Pose: Diesel Works Berrylicious by Rogan Diesel (50% off sale)