This weekend I got a new computer. I have gone ahead and updated my System Specifications page so you guys can see everything listed there but I thought, since I have some time, it would be fun and also informative if I turned this sharing experience into a meme.
Meme Instructions: Share your computer specs and answer the following questions. Don’t forget to leave a link to your post in the comments.
- Share any of your computer specs (video card, memory, etc..) Click here if you don’t know any of those things or just share the year you bought it. I just got this computer in August of 2014 and I’ve shared all of the specs on my System Specs page.
- Which viewer do you use most often? – I only use the Official Second Life viewer on a regular basis. The only time I use Firestorm or any other third party viewer is when I need to login to another avatar at the same time.
- What is your FPS (Frames Per Second) when you have your graphics on ultra? My FPS is around 80 to 90 when my graphics are on ultra and I have shadows, advanced lighting and all that enabled.
- How often does Second Life crash for you? Is it usually just a viewer crash or your whole system crashes? What are you usually doing at the moment of the crash? Before this new computer, I would pretty much crash all the time, if not with a blue screen of death then a driver error or sometimes my computer would just shut down completely because I guess it got overheated. I would never be able to run Second Life, Photoshop or a browser together. If I was running SL, that’s all I could run. But with this new computer, I was able to run SL, Photoshop and Chrome with a few tabs open. I did crash a couple of times during all of this, but I really do think it’s because of my inventory and also because I’m not a very technical person and don’t know what the optimal settings are for good performance.
- Do you know of any tips or tricks in the settings that would improve performance? Like I said, I’m not a very technical person but one thing that I normally do which helps me with lag is keep my draw distance all the way down and only put it higher when I’m doing a shot that requires it. I would love to hear any tips you guys may have to improve my performance, graphics quality or FPS.
I have been playing around with my new computer for a day now and I am very satisfied with the results so far. With my previous computer I constantly had blue screens or my display driver would crash. I would also crash like crazy from Second Life all the time. I still crash from Second Life with my new computer though, lol. My guess is that it’s probably due to my inventory. However, I did crash a lot less and I haven’t had any blue screens or driver crashes as of yet. I even went to several laggy sims and I didn’t feel much lag. The graphics quality is very similar to my previous computer but the performance is much better. I’m hoping this one should last me a while now. I may upgrade the video card in a year or two if need be.
I don’t do the Monday Memes on a weekly basis anymore but I will do them every once in a while when I get the chance. Please remember that you can participate in any of the memes/challenges at any time. You’ll find them all under my Blog Challenges category along with other memes and challenges I’ve done over the years.
Hope you guys had a great weekend, Happy Monday! <3
*Skin: Lara Hurley-Fae smokey/Midtone by Lara Hurley (@ Uber)
*Hair: TRUTH HAIR Blythe by Truth Hawks
*Outfit: Alchemy – The Pirate Wench – Pink RARE (flickr) (@ FGC)
*Pose: Label Motion by anne Dakun
Location: Black Spot Shipyard