Last week we considered Love! So in the harmony of life, I suppose this week we should consider death. The good news is that whatever your spiritual beliefs might be IRL, in SL you can always rise again!
Back in 2009, Vanessa Blaylock Company used an amazing sim, Leto Zerbino & Steel Howlett’s Petruchio, for a performance work called Landscapes with a Corpse. In this performance the different avatars imagined their own demise and then performed it by situating their avatar corpses in one of the many themed areas of Petruchio, like Ancient Greece or Atlantis.
The Vanessa Blaylock Company performers were themselves inspired by Izima Kaoru’s decades long photographic project of the same name, Landscapes with a Corpse
RL death is often not pretty. Worse, it’s often banal. When Kaoru’s models “die” they get to wear Prada & Versace! And after admiring it all they can get up and go on with their life!
Your challenge this week is to imagine your own avatar demise. Choose a sim, a pose, and wardrobe. Snap a photo of your avatar corpse and blog it! And of course, add your link in the comments below so we can all grieve over the loss of someone so beautiful.
1. What would you eat for your last meal?
2. Where do dead avatars go?
3. Have you ever been to a cemetery in SL? If so, which one(s)?
4. What would you like them to do at your avatar wake?
5. What would you like it to say on your avatar tombstone?
6. Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you?
7. If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow, who would you visit today?
8. If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do?
9. If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be?
10. What color is your underwear?