Usually when I’m feeling down, the first thing I tend to grab is some chocolate and a favorite book that I’ll sit and read to distract myself and get my mind off things. I’ve been doing that a lot lately and figured a book meme would be an interesting one to share and discuss. I think you can tell a lot about a person by the books they enjoy and read. I did find this meme on a RL blog but felt it was too long so cut it short and changed things around quite a bit.
Meme instructions: Copy and paste the following questions and answers into your post, delete my answers and input your own. Don’t forget to leave a link to your post in the comments so we can all come and see. If you create an image for this meme, feel free to share it in the Blog Memes Flickr Group.
- Are you a bookworm? – I’m not actually. I used to be a lot more in highschool/college. I do still read quite a bit (I schedule it actually) but I admit I read blogs, articles and magazines on a daily basis more often.
- Which do you prefer: hardcover, paperback or electronic? – I prefer hardcovers because I tend to grab really old islamic books or poetry from my father’s library and the hardcovers are usually in the best condition. Also hardcovers are usually a lot prettier. I have a kindle as well but tbh I don’t really use it as much as I should.
- Which book is your favorite? – This will sound cliche but it really is Pride and Prejudice. I have lost count the amount of times I’ve read it. I am also obsessed with Midsummer Night’s Dream and have read it multiple times as well.
- Which children’s book is your favorite? – There are so many that I love but I will have to go with these two: Dear Mr. Henshaw and Where the Sidewalk Ends.
- What’s the last book you’ve read? – Zealot
- Name your top five favorite writers: – Jane Austen, Kahlil Gibran, Shel Silverstein, Faiz Ahmed Faiz and a tie between Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume.
- Name a book that had a strong impact on you: – The Prophet
- Favorite & least favorite book genres? – I am not a big fan of fantasy, science fiction and such fiction that you find these days (probably why I’m the only one on the planet that hasn’t read Harry Potter – don’t judge :P). I prefer poetry, romance and literary fiction as well as non-fiction.
- Favorite & least favorite book-to-movie adaptions? – This is actually going to be the same book for both. I absolutely loved the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy much more than the 2005 adaptation with Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet. I just feel as if 2 hours was not enough to cover the book properly and a big chunk of it was sacrificed. I also feel that Keira was a bit too childish and giggly to play Elizabeth. Finally, and I’m totally biased with this one because I love him, no one makes a better Mr. Darcy than Colin Firth.
- Have you ever bought a book based on the cover alone? – Yes, I’m actually guilty of doing this often. I am attracted to beautiful hardcovers with well thought out and elaborate art or photography.
- Where do you usually buy your books? – I do a lot of shopping at a local Barnes & Noble which I frequent every Sunday afternoon as well as a local used book store. I also buy a lot of books from Amazon, but my favorite place is the used book store. Old pre-owned books tend to tell a story of their own just by the condition they are in or by the notes you may find in them. I love reading very old books.
- Do you go to the library? – Yes, all the time. I am a big supporter of libraries. I also donate and volunteer there and encourage a lot of library assignments and activities for my students.
- How many books do you own? – I would say in my own personal collection that I have in my room there are about 30 to 40 that I love and keep and the rest I tend to recycle/donate often. My father is the one with the big library so in this house I’d say we definitely have several hundred books.
- If you were to write a book about Second Life, which topic would you focus on? How to be a successful second life shopaholic and lose all your lindens.
If you decide to do a picture for this meme and are looking for a good place to find books, book shelves and other book-friendly furniture, definitely head down to Alouette. She has an amazing selection of home decor for book lovers.
Please remember that you can participate in any of the memes/challenges at any time. You’ll find them all under my Blog Challenges category along with other memes and challenges I’ve done over the years.
Skin Body: League Aria Golden -Special Edition -Chest C by Nena Janus
Skin Face: THESKINSHOP (22) (FACE) ‘Pussy’ (bold) by TheShops
Hair: Magika [Hair Rigged] Blame by Sabina Gully
*Top: …Mutresse… Piki Sweater – [S] by Eeky Cioc
*Shorts: …Mutresse… Lana Shorts – [S] by Eeky Cioc
*Mesh Hands: Slink Avatar Enhancement Hands – Casual – Small by Siddean Munro
*Mesh Feet: Slink Female Feet (AvEnhance) S – Flat by Siddean Munro
Pose+Chair: Alouette – The Bibliotheque Chair – Burgundy by Scarlet Chandrayaan
Shelf: Alouette – Literal BOOKshelf (#4) by Scarlet Chandrayaan