I often go back and read My Reflection post from this past June because it kind of brings me back to reality. I admit to getting into these moods every once in a while where I start thinking too much and comparing my real body to Berry’s body. Sometimes I really do feel this fantasy sl avatar, with perfect hair, skin, curves, etc… contributes negatively to how I view my real self. Then I read that post and all the comments from people and realize how silly I’m being. But I wonder if the time I spend in this virtual world and all of my feelings towards my real and sl avatar affects how much I progress in life. I wonder if it keeps me from doing certain things or accomplishing certain goals.
As you can see, my mind likes to wander in all sorts of places, without any valid reason. I figured since I’m in one of those introspective moods that today’s Monday Meme should also reflect that. So this week’s meme is all about introspection, the examination of one’s own thoughts, impressions, feelings and sensations. A self-examination of sort, so yeah, it’s a heavy one. I hope you guys decide to do it, I think it’s definitely a good exercise for the mind.
Meme instructions: Answer the following questions and don’t forget to leave a link to your post in the comments.
- Regardless of your current number, how old do you actually feel? – I am 33 years old and for about the past decade I have continuously felt I wasn’t a day over 21. Possibly because I am the baby of the family and have always been treated such, even till this day. But in the past year or so, I have started to feel older, more my age. Life experiences and going through life changing events has really affected the way I view the world and myself in it.
- Which is worse, failing or never trying? – Never trying. This is something that I try to teach my students as well, it doesn’t matter even if you fail, just trying alone gives you so much experience and knowledge itself.
- If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently? – That would only give me about 7 more years. I would definitely travel more.
- Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things? – That’s a tough one. I have been taught to always do the right thing and that’s what I usually strive for. However, because of my perfectionist nature, I also try and do things right, especially when it comes to other people and their feelings, but there is a limit. I still wouldn’t do it if I felt that it wasn’t the morally right thing to do. I have no idea if what I said just made any sense.
- Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton? – Definitely joyful simpleton, pretty much what I am now. When I do get into those worrisome moods, I loathe it.
- Have you been the kind of friend you want as a friend? – I regretfully admit that I am not a really great friend. I tend to live in my own little world and don’t really reach out to people often, in either life. I keep to myself. You really have to message or text me in order to get my attention or get me to respond. I rarely reach out to others myself. I know this about myself and I have lost friends over it. Luckily, in real life, I have a best friend as well as a boyfriend that understand how I am and give me space when I need it or chase after me when they need me. I am however always there when asked to do anything, but I need that push for sure. Which I realize kind of makes me a sucky friend/person. I am trying to work on that.
- Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely upset? Does it really matter now? – I actually don’t remember that time 5 years ago when I was extremely upset so obviously it really didn’t matter to me at all. Maybe it did then, but definitely not now. Kind of makes me think about all the things that upset me in the past year or so and how much they really matter to me.
- At what time in your recent past have you felt most passionate and alive? – When I passed a very important exam and got a promotion at work a couple of months ago. It really made me feel like I accomplished a lot and gave me reason to work harder and strive for more. Also made me love my work even more.
- If you just won a million dollars, would you quit your job? – I’m what you call a “trust fund baby” and I’ve realized that money really doesn’t make me happy. It can buy pretty things but when you do something that you absolutely love that makes you feel like you are really contributing to this world, than nothing can make you feel more satisfied with yourself. Also, there is something about money that you earn yourself through your own hard work that makes it even more valuable to you. Second Life has contributed to this feeling I have towards money as well, since I have never invested real dollars into the game. Everything I have in SL, I’ve earned myself through hard work.
- If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow, who would you visit today? – There is no way that I could answer this with just one person. There are so many people that I would: family, friends, and of course a couple of very good sl friends.
- What do you feel is the difference between being alive and truly living? – To me, being alive is waking up and going through your day and doing all of your mundane tasks miserably without feeling inspired or enlightened. Truly living is waking up and doing things that make you happy, and leave you feeling satisfied, inspired and enlightened, like you are adding positive energy and value to this world. Also love…loving all the people in your world, your surroundings and everything you do.
- If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake? – Making a mistake can leave you feeling deflated, powerless and miserable. Of course no one really looks forward to that but in the end I think it teaches us more and prepares us better for the future.
- What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you? – In RL, there are certain things I don’t do because of social pressures. However, I’ve kind of let go of that feeling of “what would people think” when it comes to doing or saying things, online or in SL. In SL, I do as a I please now and if someone is judging me for doing something in this virtual world, I just ignore them and pretend that they don’t exist. I’ve gotten really good at that.
- If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be? – Don’t swallow jewelry.
*Skin: Glam Affair – Cleo – America – 05 C by Aida Ewing
Hair: [LeLutka]-POCAHONTAS hair – BlondeFun by Thora Charron
Dress: Les Petits Détails – Atena Dress White (MESH – Size S) by Nevery Lorakeet
Feet+Ribbons: -Glam Affair – Vanity Feet – Ballerina – S by M4ri1yn Magic (@ Shoetopia)
Jewelry: Eshi Otawara Pearl Headdress (silver/white pearl) by Eshi Otawara
*Mesh Hands: Slink Avatar Enhancement Hands – Relaxed by Siddean Munro
*Pose: Di’s Opera by Di Hoorenbeek
42 thoughts on “Introspection Meme”
An interesting meme! Let’s see …
1. I think I feel about 30. I’m still pretty energetic, but I’ve got a lot of responsibilities in SL and RL these days, and (I hope) the maturity level to deal with those responsibilities. And I’ve been in a healthy, happy relationship for many years.
2. Never trying would be worse for me.
3. If the average lifespan were 40 years, I’d be dead already. That said, I’ve always tried to make a positive impact wherever I go, whether it’s by getting involved with charities, trying to encourage others to develop their artistic sides, or just lending a willing ear. I also love learning as much as I can, no matter the subject, and traveling.
4. Um, how about I try to do the right things in the right way?
5. I’d prefer to be a joyful simpleton.
6. Yes, I think I’m a very good friend. I do have different levels of friendship, though.
7. I generally don’t remember last month, much less 5 years ago, unless something major happened. Did it? (looks at calendar)
8. I think I generally feel the most energized when I’ve just completed a major project that benefits others. The most recent time was over the summer, when I helped organize and host a series of events on my sim to benefit Relay for Life / the American Cancer Society. It was great to be able to channel people’s love of live music and virtual fun into something that benefited a charity in RL. I also regularly attend the monthly concerts Veterans Isle holds to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project.
9. I probably would not quit my job, but I would enable my RL partner to quit his if he wanted. And I would stash away some of the winnings so I wouldn’t have to worry about making sim tier every month!
10. Oy. I can’t answer this question. There are too many people I care about. Could they all meet in one place, and I’ll join them?
11. I agree with your answer. It’s the difference between going through the motions, and probably suppressing some part of your “true” self, and loving every moment. It’s the difference between being a sleepwalker and being awake.
12. People remember pain, and want to avoid it. Sometimes that becomes fear of trying again.
13. Um …. eat more chocolate?
14. Don’t worry. It gets better.
NSFW: Lots of four-letter words. (Such as NSFW.)
Hey Berry, This weeks Meme spoke to me so I took the plunge. you can find it on my Flickr here http://www.flickr.com/photos/emberrandt/10911602105/
It seems that in VR – once you get to know someone and read what they have to say – that their personality really shines – like yours does. And that is always more important than appearance.
I will take someone’s inner-self over their looks any time.
And in a funny way, the avatars allow us to over look the obvious and visual imperfections and allow us to get to know the personality.
Great picture BTW.
It’s crazy how when these thoughts creep into our minds and we think we’re the only ones thinking them at that moment…and then a post like this pops up. I took these photos at around 3am my time (it’s now 11:49am) and posted them but had no intention of blogging them, but I feel they express a lot. Hope you don’t mind. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/10922385286/ Have a great day Berry.
Pingback: Introspection meme | Virtual Bloke
I don’t normally do Introspection, but when I do it’s at the prompting of others. Kinda messy, though, so feel free to skip looking at http://poultryreport.blogspot.com/2013/11/monday-meme-introspection.html
Pingback: Introspection Meme | Second Life Fashion Addict...
These were some really thought provoking questions, Berry.
Pingback: Introspection Meme | Cozey SL
thoroughly self evaluated^^
Oddly enough, I’ve been brief this time: http://auryn-beorn.blogspot.com/2013/11/another-meme-for-me-introspection.html
That topic spoke to me as well, so I could keep it brief 😉
Hello! Here is mine.. http://tsukilooks.blogspot.com.ar/2013/11/017-sorry-i-was-busy-instrospection-meme.html
♥ Tsuki ^_^
this is a great meme, give me things to think about
Hi there, Strawberry 🙂
How cheeky to try and make ppl reveal their rl age this way … 😉
Pingback: sleek, and some introspection | The Puppeteer
I did your meme 😀 Here’s a link! http://slstylehunter.blogspot.com/2013/11/gold-dust-and-berrys-introspection-meme.html
Gorgeous pic! That dress has been a fave of mine since it was released. Here’s my answers to the meme! http://confessionsofaslshopaholic.blogspot.com/2013/11/introspection-meme.html
Pingback: Introspection Meme: After All, Tomorrow Is Another Day | Pics by Peep
I finally talked myself into doing this one.
Don’t read if you suffer from depression. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kerris_sl/10952667535/
Pingback: Introspection » Chaotic Virtuality
Gorgeous pic! <3 <3
Here’s my answers to the meme!
Hard one this week – all the angst from self-analysis – but valuable.
I wanted to look at my feet this week, not my soul! Oh, and I made sure to tell my dog who the good boy was! http://aylaanddolly.blogspot.com/2013/11/introspection.html
This one might give me the kick in the pants I need
Interesting to read the responses as it was to work through the questions. Here’s mine:
I gave this one a shot http://notjustapixel.blogspot.com/2013/11/my-introspection-meme.html
Pingback: Inductive, Introspective, Intrusive,…Something Like That… | sltimewellwasted
Pingback: Strawberry Singh’s Introspection Meme | Goods In Kind
I know I’m soo late *laughs* but thank you so much Berry for such a thought provocative Meme 🙂
Hi Berry, I am late on this one because I found it a really difficult, putting into words things I rarely do, but I think it was good to do this, so thank you!
I’m probably late on this but here’s my introspection http://thatguysblogsl.blogspot.gr/2013/11/decor-stuff-and-some-introspection.html
Here is my entry! I hope I’m not being silly much! xD
Thank you all for the encouraging comments and messages you sent me after this meme. I also really appreciate the time you guys spend doing the memes as well. This week’s meme is up now:
A little late, but .. I decided to participate!
Pingback: Introspection Meme. « HarlowHeslop.com