Moving Avatars

Moving-Avatars
(this is a raw shot, only cropped)

Today my friend Mr. DavidThomas Scorbal messaged me and asked me if I knew about the trick where you can move and position another avatar without the use of a posestand or other object. When he told me this, at first I was like, “WHAT? YOU LIE!” You have NO idea how much I have struggled with this. I shoot clients on location all the time and sometimes they want their picture taken on sims where I have no rez rights. That’s ok, no problem because I can use my handy dandy PoseAnywhere HUD to pose them. However, what do I do when I need to position them a certain way? I need to ask them to rotate, or move forward, or back or to the side and this goes on for about 10 to 15 minutes until I have them in the exact spot I want them at.

This method is extremely time consuming and also frustrating at times. Now, David just showed me a trick today that will make my life SO much easier so I just had to share with you guys. I did a video tutorial because I figured this was the best way to show you guys. This is the link to the video but it’s also embedded below: http://youtu.be/VvsHhi7ddQM

David also did a video tutorial on this, in case you want to see his as well to understand it better: http://youtu.be/pqT868Ss6OE

In case you are not able to see the videos, I’ll write down some quick steps below:

1. Make sure the avatar that you are trying to position has given you their edit rights under permissions.
  2. Bring up the edit box by pressing “ctrl 3” or by editing any object.
  3. Once the edit window is open, right click on the avatar you want to position and you should see arrows pop up so you can position and rotate them.
  4. Position them and take your snapshot. This will also work great with group or couples portraits to make the avatars fit properly rather than adjusting the pose itself.

I hope my explanation was simple and easy to understand. Feel free to email me if you have any questions!

ยป For more of my tutorials, check out my tutorials page.

UPDATE: Watch part 2 of this tutorial with information on how to move your OWN avatar, details here: Moving your own Avatar!

Credits:
ManBerry is wearing:
Skin: Fruk – Jeremy skin shade 6 Black by Chucky Hollak
*Jacket: FATEwear Jacket – Simon – London (L) UP by Damien Fate
*Top: FATEwear Shirt – Dylan – London (S) by Damien Fate
*Pants: FATEwear Pants – Frost – LondonAlley (S) by Damien Fate
Shoes: -Entente- Rayon Shoes – Homme by Baudouin (@ FaMESHed June)
*Pose: Diesel Works Yash 8 by Rogan Diesel
Location: Zaara sim

Strawberry Singh

Strawberry Singh has been a virtual world resident since 2007. She is a virtual worlds explorer, blogger and vlogger.

29 thoughts on “Moving Avatars

• June 13, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Very handy tip, thanks David and Berry =)

• June 14, 2013 at 12:01 am

OMG! This is fabulous. I use LumiPro, which has a sitball to move the avatars into position, but you’re right – that only works where you have rez rights. This is going to open doors to shooting photographs anywhere. Thank you, Berry and David, for sharing this!

• June 14, 2013 at 12:02 am

Lord I wish we could do that to ourselves! Making minute adjustments is such a PITA unless you load up with huds that have a feature allowing such. Thanks for this Berry… a very clever and useful bit of ‘trickery’ to know!

• June 14, 2013 at 12:31 am

WOA… WOW!!! Thank you so much for sharing this, David and Berry!

• June 14, 2013 at 12:33 am

Wonderful! Very nice to see your videos, I would never know que this would be possible. Thanks a lot.

• June 14, 2013 at 1:31 am

Aweeee, this is amazing, time saver ! Thank you so much !

• June 14, 2013 at 1:48 am

oh really nice hint, didnt know this either, thanks for sharing, you and Mr. DavidThomas Scorbal. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• June 14, 2013 at 2:04 am

Wow, i did not know that. TY.
    Great i still learn new things in SL.

• June 14, 2013 at 4:02 am

Thanks Berry this is great advice! Someone said it would be great if we could do that to ourselves, I move my avi same way but first I have to go in Develop menu and under Avatar make sure that “Allow select avatar” is enabled. Then just edit any part of my avi’s attachments and click on her body to move her around.

• June 14, 2013 at 4:18 am

ohh Thank you Tamara! I was just about to ask if you can do this with your own avi too. I will definitely try this. โ™ฅโ™ฅ

• June 14, 2013 at 4:56 am

Awesome! i knew that you could do this to yourself, but not to someone else. However, rotating doesn’t work for me when i want to do this on myself

• June 14, 2013 at 5:38 am

Very useful tip. I will try it out later. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

• June 14, 2013 at 6:33 am

Thank you so much for this tutorial! Am going to need it in the near future.

• June 14, 2013 at 7:44 am

Thanks for sharing ! That’s awesome ill have to try this out .

• June 14, 2013 at 7:49 am

OMD ! This is fascinating and wonderful. I had no idea about it, but will use it much. Thank you! (Again!)

• June 14, 2013 at 11:03 am

Thanks everyone! I hope you guys find this trick useful. I just did a part 2 to this tutorial showing how you can move and position your OWN avatar using another trick thanks to Tamara’s comment above and a few other people on other social networks that told me about it. Here’s the post:

Hope you find that one useful as well! <3

• June 14, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Wow, thank you so much for sharing. Six years in SL and still can learn something new. lol

• June 14, 2013 at 8:53 pm

lol all that came out of my mouth after your tutorial was… “WHAT? Shut… UP?!!” and thats why we come in droves to learn from you ๐Ÿ˜€ thanks for sharing this~

• Pingback:10,000 Members…. Congratulations Egoisme | Daallee : These are the Days of my SL Life

• Pingback:10,000 Members…. Congratulations Egoisme | daallee

• Pingback:Dies und Das aus dem Web (KW 24 / 2013) - [O.L.D.] Old London Docks

• Pingback:Can PoseAnywhere do couple’s poses? | E2 Designs

• December 22, 2018 at 11:35 am

In 2018 with Firestorm 6.0.1 this doesn’t seem to work…