After teasing us for a few days, Maitreya has finally released the adorable tunic and boots this morning. I love the casual, laid back style both have so I wanted to shoot them in or near a field of some sort. I found Abduction Alley which is on the Nestlefire sim on Koinup Places. I fell in love with this place immediately because it was so interesting. It has a mix of an old hometown feel but then of course a big gaping alien landing hole behind the diner. It’s really nicely done and definitely a fun explore.
Anyhow, I found this field of wheat with the scarecrow and the windmill and I just felt it was the perfect place to take a picture, however there was one issue. There was a huge amount of glow coming from the wheat so it was totally destroying the picture. So then I asked my friends on plurk because I couldn’t remember the debug setting to turn glow off again and of course, as always, they came through.
So that gave me the idea to share some of my favorite debug settings with you guys, figured it would help me remember them next time too. Debug settings include unsupported hidden features that are not exposed in the standard user interface, in addition to settings that are exposed through the PREFERENCES window. To access debug settings, go to the Advanced menu > Debug Settings.
These are the settings I always setup (or try and remember to anyways) whenever I install a new viewer.
- RenderGlow – Set that to false and it will disable glow. However I noticed it didn’t take ALL the glow away from the wheatfield. I also had to fiddle with RenderGlowResolutionPow. I knock that down from 9 to 5 and it got rid of glow completely.
- RenderVolumeLODFactor – This one makes all my prims and sculpts look 100 times better. The default is usually set to 2 and they say you should at least put it on 4, however I keep mine on 14, cuz that’s my lucky number. 😛
- RenderUnloadedAvatar – This one saves me every time I’m stuck as a cloud. Just set that one to true and it will show avatars which haven’t finished loading.
- The following are my three favorite mesh settings, I was having a lot of problems with mesh and I just set these and it fixed a lot of issues for me:
- YawFromMousePosition – This one helps a bit with photography when sometimes in certain poses if I’m moving my mouse around my head follows the mouse and I don’t necessarily want that. The default to this is 90.0 so if you set it to 0 it’ll fix that.
What are your favorite debug settings?
Click here for the Debug wiki page for a full list of all of the settings and what they do.
EDIT: Torley Linden has a great Photo checklist up on the SL wiki that also covers some debug settings.
» For more of my tutorials, check out my tutorials page.
*Skin: [PXL] FAITH OLIVE RC.16 MEB by Hart Larsson (Not released yet)
*Hair: ::Exile::Quiet Dream:Brownie by Kavar Cleanslate
*Tunic: Maitreya Xarra Tunic – Flamingo S+ by Onyx LeShelle
*Boots: Maitreya Stagioni Boots * XS-S Sand by Onyx LeShelle
*Necklace: [ glow ] studio – Key to my Heart necklace (no bow) by Jocelyn Anatine
Wheat in mouth: Contreverse Epi de Ble For Mouth by Ameno Heron
*Pose: Geez by Grazia Horwitz
Location: Abduction Alley on the Nestlefire sim (Found on Koinup Places)