Linden Lab introduced Avatar physics to Second Life back in 2011. I was never a big fan of it, I’m still not to be honest. However, ever since fitted mesh bodies have been released, physics have not looked so bad with them. The bouncing effect is a lot more subtle with the fitted mesh bodies so it looks more natural than it did on the classic SL body. One thing I have noticed though is that the butt bounce does not work with any of the fitted mesh bodies I own. Not sure if that is a glitch in sl or has something to do with the way the bodies are rigged. In any case, the breasts and belly bounce quite well, as you can see in the video I’ve made.
I was recently asked to create a tutorial for avatar physics. It’s really not that hard. You just open your inventory window and then go to ‘new clothes’ and then ‘new physics.’ Once you’ve done that, you wear the layer, right click on it in the inventory window and click edit. Then you can adjust the sliders as you play a walking animation so you can see how much of a bounce your sliders are creating.
The Firestorm team have a very detailed physics tutorial on their wiki page. They explain how to create a physics layer and what each slider does. It’s very informative and if you are having problems creating your own layer, I definitely suggest reading that. At the bottom of the page they also have a link to free physics layers that the firestorm team have offered; very generous of them.
I have also created three of my own physics layers wearing the Maitreya Lara mesh body and put them up in my marketplace store. The layers work very well with both Maitreya and SLink. I have tried it on both. I have also tried it on the classic avatar female body and the bouncing is even more noticeable on that. That is why I don’t recommend you wear the extreme bounce layer on the classic avatar body unless you want to give your avatar a black eye with your boobs. However, the layers are all modify so you can go in there and reduce or increase the sliders to your liking.
Please note, the physics layers have only been tried on female bodies. I have not tried them on male bodies or other kinds of mesh avatars. I am not sure if they will work with them.
I have set the price of my physics layers to L$1 so you are also able to gift them to your friends and family through marketplace. Here is a video I’ve done wearing my natural bounce layer. I’m embedding the video below but you can also watch it at this link: https://youtu.be/GHrFSl6h49Q
I am wearing the Erratic Beth Bikini in today’s post. The bikini is fitmesh and ONLY available for the Maitreya Lara body. That’s why the bikini is bouncing so well with the rest of my body while I’m wearing the physics layer, because it is fitmesh and rigged to the Maitreya body. Regular mesh that is not fitmesh will not work well with the physics layers. Your body parts will just fall out of the mesh clothing. You need either applier clothing or fitmesh clothing designed for that particular body for the physics to work properly with clothing.
Starting July 25th, Uber will open with the theme ‘Urban.’ Both the bikini and the thigh chain I am wearing will be available there. The thigh chain is from Maxi Gossamer and comes in both gold and silver metals and is scripted to make resizing easier.
I am leaving for vacation in a few days so I will most probably not be able to blog again for a while. So, here is a weekly roundup and list of events to keep you busy while I’m gone.
- Photographer of the week: Pearls And Pistols – Definitely on my list of favorite second life fashion bloggers. Beautiful avatars, gorgeous styles and bright, clear images. This flickr stream is a delight to peruse.
- The Lexi Project: Second Life content creator Lexi Zelin, of AngelRED Couture, was recently diagnosed with stage 3 Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. You can read her full story on her gofundme page. Designers Toxxic Rhianny and Heather Smithson have teamed up to host a charity event for Lexi which will run from July 26th to August 9th. Over 350 designers are participating and 100% of the proceeds from sales are going directly to Lexi, in efforts to assist in paying her medical bills / expenses. For further details and landmark for the event, keep an eye on The Lexi Project blog.
- SLink Male Mesh Body – Siddean Munro has been absent from Second Life due to RL but now she is back and according to her plurk, looks like she is currently working on releasing the male mesh body very soon. Looking forward to that! She is requesting creators of male textures (skins and texture clothing) to please contact her.
- Festival of Sin II – Festival of Sin starts on August 22nd. However, RubyStarlight Writer has already started releasing the posters. She will be releasing a new one each week. You can see Vanity and Wrath on her flickr. More pictures will be on her flickr stream and in her Hottie Cooterati Posters Flickr Album. The posters were designed by RubyStarlight Writer, Photographed by me and the Artwork is by Anya Ohmai. Keep an eye out for the Envy poster, I’ll be in it!
- Men who harass women online are quite literally losers, new study finds – I really enjoyed reading this article.
- Buzzfeed Quiz of the Week: Which Delicious, Delicious Junk Food Are You? – I can live with that.
If you have a question for me while I’m gone, please email me and I’ll get back to you once a I return; which will be shortly after August 12th. Take care you guys and have a great summer! <3
*Mesh Body: Maitreya Mesh Body – Lara V3.3 by Onyx LeShelle
*Skin: -Glam Affair – Yolandi Jamaica – 02 F by Aida Ewing (@ Shiny Shabby)
*Hair: ::Exile:: In The Shade by Kavar Cleanslate (@ Hair Fair)
*Mesh Ears: [MANDALA]STEKING_EARS_Season5 by kikunosuke Eel
*Bikini: erratic / beth – bikini bottom (maitreya only) by Erratic Rain (@ Uber)
*Thigh Chain: MG – Thigh Chain – SILVER – R by Maxi Gossamer (@ Uber)
*Tattoo: Letis Tattoo Karak by Leti Hax
Avatar Physics: StrawberrySingh.com Physics – Natural Bounce by Strawberry Singh
*Bear: <:*BoOgErS*:> Rachel Bear RARE by Zen Zarco
*Pose in 1st image: Vestige Project Runaway Striking Poses 12 by VestigeCreations
*Pose in last image: Di’s Opera – Divine Series 4-7 by Di Hoorenbeek
Dance in video: MyAnimation My Shakira 02 by Ramona Criss
Location in video: Crossing Currents