Second Life profiles are now live and there are certainly a lot of mixed emotions about them. I for one, really love them and I believe with the right features and settings, they will be very beneficial, especially to content creators.
I did a post earlier this morning on my profile, you can read and contribute to it at this link, where I shared what changes I would like to see within the profiles. I would love for you guys to add your wishes as well and perhaps someone who is very good at writing jiras can create one with all these features or point us in the direction of different jiras that are already in place for some of these.
Here are the top five on my wish list:
- Add more social network links (such as facebook pages) – Because of Facebook’s policies a lot of SLers have now created facebook pages for themselves, instead of profiles. I would love to be able to add a link to my Facebook page since right now my facebook profile link is empty on my sl profile.
- Edit our posts, or at least the initial posts that we make if editing replies are not a possibility. I know I struggle in grammar and spelling and would love to be able to correct myself later or reword things a bit better if needed.
- Android/iphone apps – Most of my social networking is done on my phone on the go. When I’m actually sitting at my computer, I’m usually doing work. So an app for my android (or for those that have iphones) would be wonderful and much appreciated.
- Two settings for the feed – “read” and “write” – I think this would be an important feature, especially for content creators. It would be wonderful to be able to set your read setting to “everyone” so you have the ability to share whatever you like on your profile (new releases, blog posts, etc…) without having to worry about who is writing on your profile. You can change your “write” settings to friends only or nobody and make your feed just purely for your announcements (for lack of a better word).
- The ability to split up our friends list into different groups/circles. – Sometimes we may have people in our friends list that are just business associates while others are close friends. It would be great to be able to separate these and only post to that group or circle whenever necessary.
View more and add your own wishes to the wishlist in my post here.
Now that we have the wishlist covered, I’d also like to briefly discuss some of the privacy settings because I know some people were very concerned about their privacy and being bombarded by people who they don’t know writing on their walls. There is an option in the settings to set it to nobody. Once you do that, nobody can see your feed or leave comments on your profile. Take a look at my alt’s Berrylicious’ profile. I have almost everything for her set to nobody or friends only. This is how your profile will look to others once you do that. For more privacy settings, check out Alicia Cheneaux’s informative post.
Above statement is in my real world section in my sl profile.
Finally, lets get to the topic of friendship in SL. I know in the past majority of people were very protective of their friends list and who they would like to add to it. That is of course, completely understandable because we all have our own activities inworld that keep us busy. We may own a store, provide a service or perhaps we just like to have some time to ourselves. That of course can be difficult when you have a huge friends list and people always wanting to IM you.
Opensource Obscure makes a lot of sense in his post here on his profile, that friendship in SL will change drastically for a lot of us after the implementation of these profiles. We may or may not want to be more open with our friend list because the “home” button will show us what others are talking about and adding to their profiles.
I am definitely going to be more open to adding people to my friend list, as I usually am on all my social networks. But I know this will take a bit of getting used to as my friend list inworld gets bigger and people will know when I am online inworld. I don’t have a huge problem with that, my only concern is I have very limited time to actually log into SL and when I do I am usually in a photoshoot, or helping Zaara and Sawyer or taking shameless ass shots to add to my collection. Therefore I would REALLY love it if you guys didn’t send me any random teleports (in case I’m naked and I click it :P).
So please feel free to visit my profile and friend me! I would love to get to know you guys better, see what you share on your profiles and interact with you there. I also wanted to add, I am very lucky and fortunate enough to have a lot of talented and skilled people in my friends list. So please feel free to ask me any questions on my profile about shadows and photography that you would normally IM me about. I don’t always have all the answers, but if you ask me on my profile, someone else from my list might be able to input something very valuable.
I honestly have to say that I really like this change. I think it will be beneficial to a lot of people if used properly. I look forward to interacting and getting to know you all! Friend me! <3 » I added this to my tutorials page because of the brief mention of privacy settings. You can view all of my current tutorials on my tutorials page.